[Peace-discuss] AWARE's (After the Bombs) Fall Film Series

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 23:27:07 UTC 2018

At the AWARE meeting tonight a fall film series, sponsored by AWARE, was suggested - at the Library or perhaps the Art Theatre.

Films mentioned were Fail Safe (1964), Dr. Strangelove (1964), and When the Wind Blows (1986).

Panels after the films would attempt to update the themes to the present moment.

I realized only after the meeting that we’d left out the best after-the-bomb film of all, On the Beach (1959).

Other suggestions are welcome. —CGE

* Fail Safe is a 1964 Cold War thriller film directed by Sidney Lumet, based on the 1962 novel of the same name by Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler. It portrays a fictional account of a nuclear crisis. The film features performances by actors Henry Fonda, Dan O'Herlihy, Walter Matthau and Frank Overton. Larry Hagman, Fritz Weaver, Dom DeLuise and Sorrell Booke appeared in early film roles. Fail Safe describes how Cold War tensions between the Soviet Union and the United States lead to an accidental thermonuclear first strike after an error sends a group of US bombers to bomb Moscow. In 2000, the novel was adapted again as a televised play, starring George Clooney, Richard Dreyfuss and Noah Wyle, and broadcast live in black and white on CBS. [Wikipedia]