[Peace-discuss] Good books and bad beer - August 25

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Aug 13 14:52:05 UTC 2018

I really see some value in being there for the libations as well as the
perusal and
absconding with (liberation of) the books.

One could say there isnt any really bad beer,
but I do recall some cheap brands called Buckhorn (???) and
Blatz (made in Evansville IN) that were not the highest
expression of the brewers art.  At least I didnt like Blatz
and we would try to find a extra quarter or two so we could have
Miller instead of Stroh's.

Blatz beer sponsored the channel 7 weather with Marcia Yockey
who was a real icon in Evansville and across southern Indiana and Illinois.
I spent many evenings playing on the floor at my grandfathers house in
the 60's when the
news and weather from channel 7 was on.  She later went back to UHF
channel 14 in 1971
where she stayed for another nearly 20 years.
Marcia Yockey was a cool and eccentric character before it was cool to
be eccentric.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:196607MarciaYockeyS.jpg

I'm from Milwaukee and I ought to know
It's draft brewed Blatz beer wherever you go
Smoother. fresher, less filling, it's clear
Blatz is Milwaukee's finest beer.
(Maybe,  but in Evansville it was pretty bad.)

But the jingle was great and is indelibly burned there
in my memory along with Marcia Yockey with her horse
and scuba gear doing the weather map with a ink brush.