[Peace-discuss] A Mighty Voice for Peace Has Gone Silent: Uri Avnery, 1923-2018

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 22:54:08 UTC 2018

*- www.counterpunch.org <http://www.counterpunch.org>
- https://www.counterpunch.org <https://www.counterpunch.org> -*A Mighty
Voice for Peace Has Gone Silent: Uri Avnery, 1923-2018Posted By Jeffrey St.
Clair On August 20, 2018 @ 12:15 am In articles 2015 | Comments Disabled
<https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/08/20/a-mighty-voice-for-peace-has-gone-silent-uri-avnery-1923-2018/print/#comments_controls>

We received word early this morning that Israeli human rights activist and
long-time CounterPunch contributor Uri Avnery died in Tel Aviv, following a
heart attack.

Avnery, who was one of the first Israelis to call for the creation of a
Palestinian state, was 94. He lived a sprawling life. He was born in
Germany in 1923 and his family fled to British Palestine a few months after
Hitler came to power. As a young man he was dispersed leaflets for the
Irgun, a terrorist Zionist organization, and it haunted him for most of his
life. Avnery would later play chess with Yasser Arafat and become one of
the PLO’s most ardent Israeli defenders.

Avnery began sending us his column in 2002, only a few months after
CounterPunch went online. And they came, usually on a Friday night, with a
faithful regularity. The first column Avnery sent us was “The Ship is on
the Way,” <https://www.counterpunch.org/2002/01/16/the-ships-on-the-way/> on
the blockade of Gaza. The final one, a scathing indictment of Israel’s new
“Basic Law,” was published on August 6, under the title “Who the Hell are
we.”

Alexander Cockburn was one of Uri’s most faithful readers. Even though
Cockburn disagreed with Avnery about the two-state solution and other
political matters, he admired the high quality and fluidity of Avnery’s
prose.  Cockburn once told me that Avnery reminded him of his father Claud.
Alex marveled at his ability to churn out original and compelling columns
even while struggling with illness, age or the loss of his wife.

But most of all we admired Avnery’s optimism in the face of despair, which
never wavered even in the darkest hours.

Article printed from www.counterpunch.org: *https://www.counterpunch.org
<https://www.counterpunch.org>*

URL to article:
*https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/08/20/a-mighty-voice-for-peace-has-gone-silent-uri-avnery-1923-2018/