[Peace-discuss] [Peace] My plea, related to the Yellow Vest movement in France

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 04:02:06 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 8:17 PM C G Estabrook <cgestabrook at gmail.com> wrote:

Why not nationalize major industries and run them in the public interest

You mean the way the government is NOW running things in the public
interest, Carl??

This is always my point.  Always, always, always.  No matter what you
suggest, the damned thing is always run by humans.  And not necessarily
even WISE, CARING individuals like me and Ron.

We could, for example, avoid a bloody revolution and replace that old
junker with a newer model by having a Constitutional convention, writing a
new Constitution that would reflect present realities.  Most of the
European countries did it at some point after World War II, with generally
pretty good results, at least on paper.  But would you want the present
crop of swamp dwellers to comprise the committee??  There's absolutely no
guarantee that the people writing the new Constitution would be even
remotely as wise and benevolent as the Founding Fathers of our history
books.  We could easily end up with a document, and a system of government,
that is worse than the one we have now.

You show me a way to leave humans out of the equation, and I'm on board.
Until then, as the great intellectual Dennis McGinnis used to say, "I give
a shit, Charles."

> rather than in the interest of the stockholders’ profits? The stockholders
> can be paid in long term government bonds - so long as a progressive wealth
> tax is instituted.
>
> The Obama administration had a chance to do that with the US automotive
> industry - but instead bailed out the stockholders and restored their
> profits and control. (I assume you condemned that at the time, Ron?)
>

> > On Dec 9, 2018, at 7:51 PM, Szoke, Ron via Peace-discuss <
> peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net> wrote:
> >
> > Recently, with advancing age, I have become softer on half-measures that
> seem to offer some actual real-world possibility of "progress,” as I would
> view it.  One is a program of government (public) ownership of a
> controlling percentage of stock of major corporations in basic industries.
> >
> > That is not a panacea, of course, & I expect to receive within minutes a
> torrent of denunciation along the lines of “That’s stupid & crazy!  It
> won’t work!  It can’t be done!  It would have all kinds of unanticipated
> horrible consequences!”  etc., etc.   And those would be the most rational
> ones amid the obscene insults & accusations.
> >
> > I once heard  that the French government owns (or owned) a sizable chunk
> of Renault.  Have no idea whether this is true, & whether it exempted the
> Renault workers from the uprisings of 1968 & 2018.  Can someone enlighten
> me/us on this?
> >
> > Or shall we stick with our usual “Who do we traduce & BLAME?” & the
> standard sneer-jeer-smear routine?
> >
> > ~~ Ron
> >
> > <Maxine Waters.jpeg><Trumps digital exam.jpeg>
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>