[Peace-discuss] Fwd: My letter to the Editor, they gave it a good title, I'm impressed.

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 16 17:04:06 UTC 2018

Letter to the Editor | It’s wrong to put profits over people

Sun, 12/16/2018 - 7:00am | The News-Gazette<http://www.news-gazette.com/users/digitalmedia>

The "Yellow Vest" movement in France is significant. Governments of the world are watching in fear, because it could happen to them.

A couple months ago, Emmanuel Macron was doing what most governments, including the U.S., do, telling their people to "eat cake," while increasing profits for the rich and taxing the poor.

The people of France understand class and class warfare.

More than 70 percent of the people support the "Yellow Vest" movement, because they tried voting, they tried the various parties, with no progress. They've finally banded together, the working class and poor, of both left and right, using the "power of the people," which we also possess.

No one knows the outcome, but there is no turning back; a bridge has been crossed and the people of Europe recognize neoliberalism doesn't work, and governments oppressing the people need to be replaced. It has spread to Belgium, with fires igniting across Europe. Brexit in the U.K. is one example of people wanting change.

We bailed GM out, due to the crash of 2008, with no preconditions, and now they have closed down, putting people out of work. We should have been advocating takeovers of GM properties by the workers or nationalization.

Continuing to allow governments to put profit over people, whether one party or the other, continues the policies of impoverishment and massacres of the vulnerable across the globe.

It's time to emulate the French and take to the streets.There is little time before it's too late to save the planet and humanity.

KAREN ARAM

Urbana