[Peace-discuss] NfN notes

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Dec 21 16:16:45 UTC 2018

My memory was that Rauner intervened and changed the Illinois legislation
from being focused on state contractors - which triggered the ACLU's First
Amendment concerns - to the investment of the state's own funds, which the
ACLU conceded was the right of the state to do with as the state sees fit.

So, I think the description of the map in that report is not right. It's a
map of states that have some form of anti-BDS legislation, not a map of
states that have laws like Texas.

Having said that, when Airbnb announced that it would no longer list
properties in settlements in the West Bank, Rauner announced that he was
looking into applying Illinois law against them. I don't know what happened
with that, and whether that or other such threats intimidated Airbnb at
all. I have heard that Airbnb may be reconsidering its decision in light of
the pushback they have received from the Likud Lobby.

===

Robert Reuel Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy
www.justforeignpolicy.org
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
(202) 448-2898 x1

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM David Green via Peace-discuss <
peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Does this mean the Democrat and Republican parties are spending billions
>>> of
>>> dollars too much on "media buys" (what we're told is the most expensive
>>> part of any American political election campaign) because they could
>>> effectively steer an election for a mere hundred thousand dollars on
>>> social
>>> media ads?
>>>
>>> It's free speech and right and proper when the US interferes in other
>>> people's elections. But it's horrible and wrong "election interference"
>>> when other countries establish groups to post ads that might cause some
>>> US
>>> voter to change their mind?
>>>
>>> No. It's a continuing and dangerous distraction from examining class
>>> politics, objecting to neoliberalism and neoconservatism, and a
>>> convenient
>>> scapegoat for Hillary Clinton who has twice lost the race for US
>>> President,
>>> both times to relative political upstarts. Losing once she could handle
>>> without this establishment participation in diverting blame, but twice?
>>> No
>>> way. She needed an excuse to convince people she didn't lose a rigged
>>> election and she's not to blame.
>>>
>>> Thanks to David Green for pointing to
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dfNkaozUus which is Jimmy Dore show on
>>> explaining the latest Russiagate NYT article. This is an exceptionally
>>> good
>>> condensation of Russiagate problems and why (as Dore says) people turn
>>> YouTube to get their news -- it's because previously thought of as
>>> 'mainstream' news is getting things dangerously wrong: the deceptions
>>> and
>>> distractions have piled up and these organizations (such as the New York
>>> Times) have built a legacy of getting their most important stories
>>> horribly
>>> wrong -- the run-up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, for instance, has a
>>> series of such stories).
>>>
>>> I also cite the same for Democracy Now which was doing great work during
>>> that same time. During the run-up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, DN
>>> quoted
>>> the NYT lies and immediately followed up with evidence-based debunking
>>> from
>>> the IAEA (Hans Blix's group that was in Iraq doing inspection work)
>>> which
>>> clearly laid out that the whole 'Iraqi WMD' narrative was wrong. DN also
>>> proudly featured "unembedded" journalists to report while the so-called
>>> "embedded" journalists were providing military-vetted stories based on
>>> going wherever their military handlers took them (these stenographers
>>> were
>>> 'embedded' with the military).
>>>
>>> But nowadays DN has clearly bought into Russiagate distractions and
>>> attendant lies, occasionally dipping into identity politics distortions
>>> well. Identity politics gives us no room to understand that it's
> [...]
>>> Russiagate
>>> stories during the headlines segment or in the voice of anyone who works
>>> for the program. I wonder if DN's funding has provoked a change in DN's
>>> reportage, and the choice to let guests say what they will is a way to
>>> attempt to please those who view media more critically while
>>> conditionally
>>> donating money to DN based on not making the Democratic Party look bad.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF4mX1NIPYQ -- MSNBC claims it's
>>> exposing a
>>> Russian "cruise missile" of fake news. But their record for accuracy and
>>> reasonable conclusions is horrible (such as Rachel Maddow's stories).
>>>

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKtLDvqiID8 -- Michael Isikoff is now
>>> trying to back away from his own allegations that helped get Russiagate
>>> started based on the infamous "Steele Dossier" (Isikoff's article "U.S.
>>> intel officials probe ties between Trump adviser and Kremlin" at
>>>
>>> https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-s-intel-officials-probe-ties-between-trump-adviser-and-kremlin-175046002.html

>>> Trump's tweet quoted Isikoff's attempt to back away from his own
>>> reportage
>>> and thanked Isikoff "for honesty" adding:

>>> Isikoff also told The Daily Caller

>>> But Isikoff maintains that Russia was somehow still instrumental in
>>> getting
>>> Trump elected even if parts of the Steele Dossier have no basis in fact.
>>>
>>> I say the problem, of course, is there's no reason to believe the
>>> Russia-did-it aspect of any of this either particularly 2+ years on and
>>> in
>>> light of what the investigations have turned up so far: some Russians
>>> spent
>>> some thousands of dollars on social media ads (some of which went
>>> unseen)
>>> which might have changed people's minds about how to vote. That's
>>> indistinguishable from free speech, no matter if it was "divisive" or
>>> published at the behest of Russian nationals or a Russian state-funded
>>> propaganda unit (akin to II, see above, or any US state-backed
>>> propaganda
>>> outlet like Voice of America). A far more reasonable explanation is that
>>> people were still deceived into thinking the only two candidates to
>>> consider were Clinton and Trump, and Clinton represented neoliberalism
>>> and
>>> neoconservatism which serve chiefly elite's interests, while Trump gave
>>> sharp critiques instead (anti-NAFTA, anti-Iraq war, for example; some of
>>> the only talk we've heard like that from a major party candidate in
>>> decades). Poor people (which make up an increasing percentage of the US
>>> voters since the poor are getting poorer and the middle class is
>>> shrinking
>>> due to neoliberalism) looked at their own economy and decided that
>>> Hillary
>>> Clinton failed to convince them to vote for her. So they either didn't
>>> for US President or some voted for Trump. It was Clinton's election to
>>> lose
>>> and she was such a poor candidate she lost a rigged election. Russiagate
>>> claims aim to be a distraction from that reality so we don't discuss
>>> class
>>> issues (Trump being duly elected, Brexit, now the spreading Yellow Vest
>>> protests).
>>>

>>> Spying
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDq4Jf96Fdo -- FBI spying on
>>> environmentalists on the baseless claim that the targets of this spying
>>> are
>>> planning "terrorist" ends. The warrantless US electronic spying
>>> infrastructure we've long been warned about continues apace despite the
>>> Church hearings, various leakers, and hard evidence of what US
>>> government
>>> offices actually do (see the Snowden NSA slides from internal NSA
>>> discussions).
>>>

>>> Israel
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7t07EoHWbo -- legislation map of US
>>> states
>>> that force state workers to sign an agreement saying they won't join or
>>> support BDS movements or risk losing their jobs. Illinois is among the
>>> states that have adopted such legislation. This tells you about Israel's
>>> desperation and shows you that BDS is having an effect and is powerful.
>>> Chris Hedges is interviewed.
>>>
>>> https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/israel-texas-anti-bds-law/ -- "A
>>> Texas
>>> Elementary School Speech Pathologist Refused to Sign a Pro-Israel Oath,
>>> Now
>>> Mandatory in Many States — so She Lost Her Job" by Glenn Greenwald about
>>> US
>>> citizen Bahia Amawi.
>>>

>>> Venezuela
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tKvqj3U3O0 -- Hyperinflation drives an
>>> interest in cryptocurrency. This report claims 82% of Venezuelan
>>> population
>>> live in poverty. The US sanctions aren't helping, with Trump threatening
>>> "a
>>> military option" and saying "[Venezuela] is a regime that could be
>>> toppled
>>> very quickly by the military if the military decides to do that". This
>>> suggests that the smart guess is on Venezuela to pick up more objections
>>> neoliberalism and connections to various anti-neoliberalism work around
>>> the
>>> world. Gregory Wilpert is interviewed.
>>>
>>> But cryptocurrencies fluctuate wildly and could lose support entirely,
>>> leaving most users with something of no value in exchange for the
>>> government-backed money they put in. There's no organization one can
>>> count
>>> on backing a digital currency in a way that would withstand a lack of
>>> support for the digital currency. Also, it seems that although one
>>> digital
>>> currency ("Dash") claims its service "that works just like physical

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x6L28tCTJ4 -- Reportage claiming

>>> https://archive.fo/sKkPP -- The cbsnews.com article is the source of