[Peace-discuss] Advice requested

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sun Dec 30 13:57:50 UTC 2018

I forgot to answer part of Ron's question. He asked us to say that we
ourselves are donating. I mentioned that I donate to WILL-AM, FAIR, and
IPA. [Also I donate to Truthout.] But I did not say that I donate to Just
Foreign Policy. Here's how I do that.

First of all, I haven't had a raise in years, even though I could have. I
didn't ask for a raise, because I didn't need the money, and I wanted Just
Foreign Policy to have the money, to do other Just Foreign Policy things
besides pay my salary. Part of why I don't need the money is because I live
in Champaign-Urbana, where the cost of living is relatively low by U.S.
standards, instead of living in Washington.

Second, I voluntarily reduce my salary by not turning in receipts when I
travel to do Just Foreign Policy things. For example, I traveled to Chicago
a few weeks ago for Just Foreign Policy. I paid for my own train tickets
and did not turn in receipts. Again, I do this so that Just Foreign Policy
will have more money to do other Just Foreign Policy things besides pay my
salary.

Third, I work for Just Foreign Policy far more than forty hours a week.
Nobody is making me do that. I'm doing that as a volunteer. I decided a
long time ago that my marginal impact on the world would be far greater
donating most of my volunteer time to Just Foreign Policy than donating it
to something else.

===

Robert Reuel Naiman
Policy Director