[Peace-discuss] GEO set to strike at UIUC

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 19:27:34 UTC 2018

Good afternoon, fans of justice!
Grad employees on campus earn on average about $16,000 a year, well below the UI's own livable wage standard.  Without tuition waivers this would largely just go straight back to the University.  For such basic economic and other reasons grad employees at UIUC have been fighting for a union for many years.  It took years to win legal recognition and bargain their first contract.  Then in 2009 the GEO had to strike to get guaranteed tuition waivers and other basic provisions in writing.  The University immediately reneged and only after a long and costly arbitration did the GEO prevail, only to have the University refuse to abide by the arbitrator's decision (a serious violation of labor law), and GEO had to fight again - and did prevail again.  Now the UI is trying to back out again - as well as refusing to bargain in good faith over grad employee pay and stonewalling other important issues.
So the GEO just  this morning set a date to strike if the University does not seriously change its tune in bargaining:
Mon. Feb. 26
Please sign up to join the picket line!  Community support is crucial.  I am part of a small committee coordinating signups by allies, so you can email me (privately, please, off list) your name, number, and what time you can picket Mon. Feb. 26 (preferable) between 8AM-5PM, or Tuesday 2/17.  Or you can try this nifty googledocs signup, which Nick Goodell set up:
Strike Support Sign-Up

|  |  |

|  |
Strike Support Sign-Up

Sheet1 Name, email, Phone, time available 2-26, time available 2-27, time available 2-28, Affiliation( communi...

I can meet you or make sure someone meets you at the Illini Union (Quad Side) at your appointed time to get you what you need.  Thanks!  Solidarity!Ricky

Ricky Baldwin
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
- Maggie Kuhn