[Peace-discuss] AWARE statement in support of GEO and their labor struggle against the U of I administration?

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 14:56:20 UTC 2018

Though Carl is “technically” correct, I suggest we do it anyway.

While I agree we need to remain on focus, specifically in respect to the “AWARE on the Air” tv program, when some wish to focus on “local” issues, which would water down the “reason to exist.”  Everything is connected, and therefore on the tv program we do relate “war” to that which is taking place both locally and nationally.

There is no question “the militarization of the police,” “austerity policies” of the government, “high cost of education”,   “crushing labor and unions” is very related.

Thus verbally offering support for those groups, such as the GEO, is related to war, when we further impoverish people, and limit education to only the elite, and foreign students, it is related.

Though I wonder why I bother to address the issue, why Stuart bothered to raise the issue, since AWARE seems to support a decision by consensus, knowing well that Carl will not agree.

As AWARE has no By-Laws, no Officers, and its even unclear as to who members consist of, I question the issue of "consensus.” When voting to disallow a anti-semite speak on the program, we used a “majority rule” at my suggestion, vote to prevent.