[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Message from Senator Richard J. Durbin

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 23 20:27:49 UTC 2018

 One out of three is better than nothing:

February 23, 2018

Ms. Karen Aram
803 East Green Street
Urbana, IL 61802-3411

Dear Ms. Aram:

          Thank you for contacting me about President Trump's Nuclear Posture Review.  I appreciate hearing from you and share your concerns.

          In early February 2018, the Pentagon released the Nuclear Posture Review, which called for the development of a lower yield option for ballistic and cruise missiles launched from submarines.  These lower yield options would have a less powerful explosive capacity than our current nuclear arsenal.  The Nuclear Posture Review also said nuclear weapons could be used to respond to extreme circumstances, including non-nuclear attacks.

          One of the most dangerous threats facing our nation today is the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.  I believe the sole purpose of our nuclear arsenal should be to deter any nuclear attack against the United States.  Broadening the set of circumstances in which we might use nuclear weapons to include non-nuclear attacks, as President Trump's Nuclear Posture Review does, runs the risk of increasing the likelihood of a devastating nuclear conflict.  Other countries may decide to develop similar low yield options that could lead to another arms race, the likes of which we haven't seen since the Cold War.

          On January 29, 2018, I joined several of my colleagues in sending a letter to President Trump expressing concerns about developing new and low-yield nuclear weapons.  These weapons are unnecessary to maintaining deterrence and destabilize the international order.  Developing such weapons is also fiscally irresponsible.  It will cost up to $1.7 trillion with inflation over the next 30 years to modernize, sustain, and operate our existing nuclear triad.  Developing even more weapons will increase this cost exponentially with potentially minimal gain.

          America's interests are often best served when we use diplomacy and other alternatives to war or force to solve conflict.  Rather than spending more money creating unnecessary weapons, we should invest in our diplomatic corps who are our first line of defense in international conflict.  We must continue to work with the international community to combat the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and secure all vulnerable nuclear material.  I will keep your concerns about President Trump's Nuclear Posture Review in mind as the Senate addresses issues regarding our nation's nuclear arsenal.

          Thank you again for contacting me.  Please feel free to keep in touch.

              Sincerely,
[https://outreach.senate.gov/iqextranet/Customers/SenDurbin/Sen_Signature.PNG]
      Richard J. Durbin
      United States Senator