[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [ufpj-activist] [national] Behind the Iranian protests

Brussel, Morton K brussel at illinois.edu
Tue Jan 9 16:15:34 UTC 2018

I believe I alerted this list to what is said here, to be skeptical and critical about what comes from NIAC.

—mkb

Begin forwarded message:

From: David McReynolds <davidmcreynolds7 at gmail.com<mailto:davidmcreynolds7 at gmail.com>>
Subject: Re: [ufpj-activist] [national] Behind the Iranian protests
Date: January 8, 2018 at 11:44:34 AM CST
To: Michael Munk <lastmarx2 at gmail.com<mailto:lastmarx2 at gmail.com>>, ufpj-activist <ufpj-activist at lists.mayfirst.org<mailto:ufpj-activist at lists.mayfirst.org>>

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 6:33 PM, <lastmarx2 at gmail.com<mailto:lastmarx2 at gmail.com>> wrote:
Kevin Zeese and Margaret Flowers write in Popular Resistance

"[Mostafa Afzalzadehe, an independent Iranian journalist and film maker warned] to be careful who people in the US listen to as spokespersons for the Iranian people. He specifically mentioning the National Iranian American Council (NIAC), the largest Iranian-American group. He claimed that NIAC was started by funding from Congress and some of its members had ties to government or regime change organizations. When we said we did not know that NIAC had received US government funding and that Trita Parsi, the executive director of NIAC, is a widely respected Iranian commentator (indeed, he recently appeared on Democracy Now and Real News Network), he said, “You should research it for yourself. I’m just alerting you.”

We researched NIAC and found on NIAC’s website that they received money from the National Endowment for Democracy (NED). NED is a private organization primarily funded by an annual allocation from US government<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Endowment_for_Democracy> and Wall Street interests<https://www.globalresearch.ca/the-national-endowment-for-democracy-ned-an-instrument-of-regime-change-financed-by-wall-street/5532602> and has been involved in US regime change operations in the Middle East<https://journal-neo.org/2017/03/01/regime-change-and-continuity-of-agenda-trump-adviser-now-chairs-ned/> and around the world. In their More Myths and Facts<https://www.niacouncil.org/myths-vs-facts-continued/> section NIAC acknowledges receiving funding from NED but claims that was different from the Bush administration’s democracy program, the Democracy Fund, designed for regime change. NIAC also says it does not receive funding from the US or Iranian governments on its site.

NIAC research director, Reza Marashi, mentioned by Mostafa, worked at the State Department’s Office of Iranian Affairs for four years prior to joining NIAC. And, field organizer Dornaz Memarzia, worked at Freedom House before joining NIAC, an organization also involved in US regime change operations<http://www.councilforthenationalinterest.org/new/?p=4239#.WlAJeN-nHIU>, tied to the CIA <https://consortiumnews.com/2015/01/08/cias-hidden-hand-in-democracy-groups/> and State Department<http://exiledonline.com/wikileaks-expose-kochs-neocons-and-covert-regime-change-ops/>. Trita Parsa<https://www.niacouncil.org/about-niac/staff-board/dr-trita-parsi/> has written award winning books on Iran and foreign policy and received his Ph.D. at the Johns Hopkins School for Advanced Economic Studies under Francis Fukuyama, the well known neocon and advocate for “free market” capitalism ..."

Read it all at

https://popularresistance.org/special-report-are-long-term-us-regime-change-efforts-behind-iran-protests/

www.michaelmunk.com<http://www.michaelmunk.com/>

You are subscribed as: brussel at illinois.edu<mailto:brussel at illinois.edu>