[Peace-discuss] Cognitive hygiene?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 22 04:38:33 UTC 2018

Montaigne's maxim was QUE SAIS-JE? [What do I know?], which he had set on a personal medallion together with the Greek word EPOKHE [I hold back, or I reserve judgment] and a pair of scales, to remind himself of the potential equality of strength of two opposing arguments.

Ron’s maxim is QUE SAVENT LES AUTRES? [What do others know?], and his answer seems to be RIEN [Nothing].

He doesn’t seem to reserve judgment, because he doesn’t think any arguments have strength; they are all merely psychological manifestations.

But how can he sure that that opinion is more than a psychological manifestation? Is there a course of Cognitive Hygiene that, like mental philosopher’s stone, allows one to distinguish true opinions from those psychologically induced? (Is it called thinking?)

Or maybe, when it comes to the philosophical quadrille, Ron is merely bemused by the poet’s question:

"O body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?”

—CGE