[Peace-discuss] Charles Murray in Thailand

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:08:18 UTC 2018

My take:

The article is very interesting and presents an image of Thailand at that time, that many expats have never seen.
Murray sounds like many expats, sent in by the USG to control a nation, situated in the middle of our SE Asian wars, that of a racist neocon.

Cultural and religious differences, along with environment, laws, and propaganda, have everything to do with a society, and their abilities to prosper and survive, it has nothing to do with innate genetic characteristics or IQ.

The depiction of life for African Americans on welfare during the 60’s is presented as if a Disneyland fantasy.

African Americans have proven, when the shackles of slavery are removed, when opportunities are provided they have risen to become leaders of society. The young indigenous Thai’s when given the opportunity to read books, by western writers of revolution, did rise up out of poverty, to become leaders fighting their oppressive military government, and foreign influences, resulting in the deaths of many as a result. Survivors into the jungles, later returning, taking up positions as academics.

My lesson in Thailand, was that the poor indigenous farmer with no education beyond elementary school, if given the opportunity of books and education, rather than the usual propaganda of “love king and country,” had the ability to become a leader and change society, unfortunately their society of elites does everything to prevent that from happening, as much today as then. Instead of US CIA and military throughout the provinces they now have McDonalds and Starbucks, add to that the huge numbers of Thai students in the US over many years, our “soft power” of influence has thrived.

PS I was in a position of managing many young Thai women in both home and office environment, with foreigners often asking me how I obtained such “smart employees.” My response was that I simply allowed them to “take initiative without fear," even if they did the wrong thing, I appreciated their initiative. It takes time and patience, not my strong point, but I had observed that when given the opportunity, people of all cultures, will usually attempt to do the right thing, and help others. Even those whose education and upbringing discouraged taking risks.

End poverty, fear and propaganda, and flowers will bloom.