[Peace-discuss] Good historical perspective on U.S./Russia relations

Brussel, Morton K brussel at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 23 02:33:20 UTC 2018

Yes, this perspective is needed, but for the reason given in the penultimate paragraph:

It is in this respect that the Mueller investigation has caused the most damage to the United States–it has interfered in our ability to once again attempt to reset the Russian relationship. Without that reset, our antagonistic relationship with the Russians ensures that they drift into China’s sphere of influence, weakening the long-term geostrategic position of the United States. America’s greatest Cold War success was splitting the Sino-Soviet alliance. If we continue down our present path, that alliance maybe reconstituted, and the work of Richard Nixon undone.

I.e., “We”need a “reset" with Russia to be able to maintain control of as much of the world as possible. It is not done to have a world free of injustice and war.