[Peace-discuss] retraction

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sat Jul 28 19:07:38 UTC 2018

I wouldn't have argued with Carl so strongly about the proposition that the
world would be better off or worse off if Dems take the House if I had not
believed at the time that Dems would help us end the U.S.-Saudi war in
Yemen. I agree with him completely about the horrible ick of Dems becoming
the anti-Russia party. I was quite certain that was outweighed by the
possibility of ending the war in Yemen, which has pushed millions of human
beings to the edge of starvation, and will push ten million more to the
edge of starvation by the end of the year if it is not stopped.

I don't believe that anymore. I don't believe anymore that Dems are going
to help us end the war in Yemen. I believed that because that's what I was
told by people whom I had good reason to trust. But they reneged. So now
that's an open question for me; maybe they will, maybe they won't, but I
have no basis for believing that they will.

Thus, I don't care anymore if Dems take the House.