[Peace-discuss] retraction

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sat Jul 28 20:02:31 UTC 2018

I don't know. I would like to think that we can push for the introduction
in the House and Senate when they return in September of bills invoking the
War Powers Resolution to force floor votes on ending U.S. participation in
the Yemen war. I think we could win a floor vote in the House, and I think
that would be a big deal. Maybe we could even win a floor vote in the
Senate, and that would be an even bigger deal. But I am worried that we
won't be able to build enough pressure to make this happen, given the
dominant mood in Washington now that the only things that people should
care about are things that help one team or the other in election
mobilization.

But one thing I am pretty sure of is that we would much be better off now
if we had replaced Dennis Kucinich in the House as an anti-war champion, a
leader of anti-war efforts, on the Democratic side when he left DC in 2012.
And that, belatedly, we should try to figure out who the new Dennis
Kucinich can be. I'm sure it's not Barbara Lee. I'm sure it's not Ro
Khanna. But who it is I don't yet know.

I'm trying to write something about this...

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy
www.justforeignpolicy.org