[Peace-discuss] classical liberalism

Estabrook, Carl G galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Jul 31 00:11:20 UTC 2018

Depends on what you mean by 'classical liberalism.' The term is used variously.

"Classical liberalism is a political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties under the rule of law with an emphasis on *economic freedom*. Closely related to economic liberalism, it developed in the early 19th century, building on ideas from the previous century as a response to urbanization and to the Industrial Revolution in Europe and the United States. Notable individuals whose ideas contributed to classical liberalism include John Locke, Jean-Baptiste Say, Thomas Robert Malthus and David Ricardo. It drew on the classical economic ideas espoused by Adam Smith in Book One of 'The Wealth of Nations' and on a belief in natural law, utilitarianism, and progress. The term 'classical liberalism' was applied in retrospect to distinguish *earlier 19th-century liberalism* from the newer social liberalism." [Wikipedia]

Roughly: classical liberalism = laissez-faire economics; social liberalism = e. g. the New Deal.

--CGE