[Peace-discuss] FW: George Ryan Nominated for 2004 Nobel Peace Prize

Boyle, Francis A fboyle at illinois.edu
Sat Jun 9 15:59:14 UTC 2018

Francis A. Boyle
Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.
Champaign IL 61820 USA
217-333-7954 (phone)
217-244-1478 (fax)
(personal comments only)

From: Bob Wakfer [mailto:bob at compar.com]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 1:09 PM
To: committee at stopcapitalpunishment.org
Subject: George Ryan Nominated for 2004 Nobel Peace Prize

[http://www.stopcapitalpunishment.org/images/NPP-201.jpg]
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  -- January 25, 2004
George Ryan Nominated for 2004 Nobel Peace Prize
In an interesting convergence of events, George Ryan, ex Governor of Illinois, has been prominent in the news this weekend. All these events are as a result of his courageous action on Jan. 11, 2003 of commuting the sentences of 167 inmates awaiting execution on Illinois Death Row.

On Friday Jan. 23, Francis Boyle, Professor of International Law and Human Rights at the University of Illinois, re-nominated Ryan for the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize. Professor Boyle nominated Ryan last year and explains his decision to nominate him again as follows.

 " During the past year George Ryan has attempted to generate a wave of opposition to the death penalty all over the world.  George Ryan has done more effective work against the death penalty than all of us American Abolitionists put together.  For these reasons I believe that George Ryan has, in the words of Alfred Nobel, "conferred the greatest benefit on mankind."  George Ryan has done the most and best work for fraternity among nations.

Also in the news, has been Ryan's indictment on fraud and racketeering charges.  Under the United States Constitution, just like anyone else, Ryan is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt to the unanimous satisfaction of twelve men and women sitting on a jury. It is the opinion of the Committee to Support Ryan's nomination that his work against the horror of the Death Penalty stands alone and apart from and transcends any alleged wrongdoing. History will remember him for his solitary, brave and unparalleled contribution to the sacred cause of Abolition.

 Professor Boyle and the Committee also bring to your attention the fact that Ryan communicated the sentences of 167 inmates and the Government has indicted him on charges of having defrauded the state of $167,000. Is this a coincidence or is this retribution?

On Friday the Illinois Supreme Court upheld Ryan's constitutional right as Governor to commute these sentences. "We believe that the grant of authority given the governor .. is sufficiently broad to allow former Governor Ryan to do what he did," wrote Justice Bob Thomas of Wheaton, who authored the court's opinion.
Also directly related to his action, Ryan and his family attended the Sundance Film Festival this weekend to view a film that has been made about his ground breaking and bold initiative.
"Deadline," follows the turbulent debate that erupted when Northwestern University journalism students showed that innocent men had been condemned to death row. Thirteen men were eventually found to have been wrongly convicted and Ryan declared a moratorium on capital punishment in the state. This initative culminated in the clearing Death Row in the days immediately before his term ended.
"The death penalty system and the laws of this country need to be fixed," Ryan said Sunday night at a launch party for the documentary in Park City. "When we're talking about execution, if we can't have a perfect system -- which I don't believe we can -- then we shouldn't have a system like that in place," he said.
George Ryan has shown courage and strength in his continuing struggle. It is commonly rumored that he was among the top hand full of finalists for the 2003 award, which was won by Shirin Ebadi of Iran.

The United States stands alone among Western Nations in its use of the Death Penalty. By rewarding the Nobel Peace Prize to George H. Ryan this august and respected institution can send yet another message indicating how abhorrent and unacceptable the death penalty is to all of Europe and many other countries of the world.
Professor Boyle may be contacted for comments or interviews at the at the following:
Phone: 1-217-333-7954
Fax: 1-217-244-1478
Email: committee at stopcapitalpunishment.org<mailto:committee at stopcapitalpunishment.org>
Visit our web site for complete information about Ryan's work and our campaign to support him.
Website: http://www.stopcapitalpunishment.org<http://www.stopcapitalpunishment.org/>