[Peace-discuss] [nppryan] FW: Teaching Against the Death Penalty

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 00:56:30 UTC 2018

Karen--

As you know, my model for political discussions and debate for more than 40 years has been Noam Chomsky - with a dash of Alex Cockburn thrown in.

Both tried to tell the truth and shame (or beat) the devil. Chomsky: “It is the responsibility of intellectuals to speak the truth and to expose lies. This, at least, may seem enough of a truism to pass over without comment...” <https://chomsky.info/19670223/>.

That has not always produced unity and harmony on the local political scene, in the more than fifteen years of AWARE’s existence. (See, from more than a dozen years ago, “Illinois Anti-Warriors and the Attractive Senator” <https://www.counterpunch.org/2005/09/29/illinois-anti-warriors-and-the-attractive-senator/>).

I don’t regret e.g. pointing out the fact that Obama was a fake, even if it harmed the unity (as it did) of AWARE.

You also know that it is not the case that I am “concerned with preserving the lives of fetuses while caring nothing for the lives of children we are slaughtering daily...”

At the bromide level - “my political views: I'm basically against anything that kills people or destroys the planet we live on."

Francis’ impassioned and admirable defense of human life curiously applies only to those who have had their umbilical cords detached - an apparently magical transformation that suddenly renders one human, and the subject of rights. I don’t subscribe to that religion.

Regards,
Carl