[Peace-discuss] On an Average Day, 96 Americans Die By Firearms

ewj ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Jun 11 20:22:15 UTC 2018

according to this report, about 67% are suicides. about two in every three are suicides, saith the new york times. i read it over and over again. surely it is not misprint or a typo. arguably murder could be done with an orange claw hammer or a silver one or a sears and roebuck crowbar or one from walmart but few who are out to do themselves in would choose a blunt instrument or even a very sharp one. it seems that this story is not about violence in Amerika but about depression and despair. It is Colonel Mustard in the basement on the rope. my personal tendencies taken to some dysfunctional extreme are more likely self defense that self destruction. i can relate to going after the noisy good humour man but not him driving me to suicide with his monotune and sticky confections. is the same logic used to defend abortion applicable here? in the absence of a gun the depressed will resort to rusty coat hangers and Drano? r. crumb suggested that the society would make cyanide pies available for the terminally despairing. sort of like tide pods,. only crunchy? take two. take more. I note of late that suicides are not condemned as they were in the society i grew up in. we would sympathize with families and shake our heads in disbelief and hope it was over. jourdain, williams, hemingway, cobain, boltzmann, cantor... what is up? if what the nytimes is saying is.tru On 2018-06-12 02:08 , Szoke, Ron via Peace-discuss Wrote: From: "Szoke, Ron" <r-szoke at illinois.edu> Subject: NYTimes.com: On an Average Day, 96 Americans Die By Firearms Date: June 11, 2018  From The New York Times: On an Average Day, 96 Americans Die By Firearms Mass shootings represent just a fraction of the nation’s gun violence. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/06/10/opinion/editorials/gun-violence-pulse-orlando.html