[Peace-discuss] David Harvey interview

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 04:33:32 UTC 2018

Harvey is involved in many intra-left and intra-disciplinary controversies
of a vitriolic nature about which I'm not qualified to address, especially
regarding the nature of imperialism and the role of the Global South,
China, etc.

But his general approach seems sound, which is to employ a clear
understanding of Marx's view of capitalism, which indeed affirms the
relationship between capitalism and progress (on the one hand) and asserts
that capitalism's inherent need for compound growth is destructive at many
levels, obviously climate change, etc. Therefore, capitalism is not viable,
on the one hand, but has so far been able to manage its crises and keep
going.