[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [ufpj-activist] 6-minute video summary of Nov. 4 conference "Presidential First Use of Nuclear Weapons? Is it Legal? Constitutional? Just?"

Brussel, Morton K brussel at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 6 01:16:01 UTC 2018

Check out the video. Some statements are not strong enough or encompass enough, but they are worthy of supporting in the interim.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Cole Harrison <cole at masspeaceaction.org<mailto:cole at masspeaceaction.org>>
Subject: [ufpj-activist] 6-minute video summary of Nov. 4 conference "Presidential First Use of Nuclear Weapons? Is it Legal? Constitutional? Just?"
Date: March 5, 2018 at 5:59:29 PM CST
To: UFPJ Activist list <ufpj-activist at lists.mayfirst.org<mailto:ufpj-activist at lists.mayfirst.org>>, Bananas list <nuclearbananas at googlegroups.com<mailto:nuclearbananas at googlegroups.com>>

Dear Peace Movement Allies,

[cid:ii_jeeuznei0_161f880f39af1ef3]

     As you may remember, Massachusetts Peace Action and others held a Nov. 4 conference, “Presidential First Use of Nuclear Weapons: Is it Legal? Is it Constitutional?  Is it Just?<http://masspeaceaction.org/event/presidential-first-use/>”  at Harvard Science Center.   Some of you attended and we were grateful for that!

     We have posted a 6-minute video showing the conference highlights:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-bXzvgQBw&index=1&list=PL2SOU6wwxB0vZEgAvRotf9-INc9nA8t02

     And here are the edited transcripts of the talks published this week in Public Books: http://www.publicbooks.org/virtual-roundtable-on-presidential-first-use-of-nuclear-weapons/    Public Books is a widely read online journal (the median age of its readers is 24-25; they read it on their cell phones).

      I would appreciate your spreading those links to your networks, perhaps connecting them to an ask to support HR.669/S.200 along the lines of:

      Right now, the most important step you can take to prevent presidential first use of a nuclear weapon is the one you will hear the speakers  (including former Secretary of Defense William Perry) identify in the 6-minute video: support HR.669 and S.200 by contacting your representatives  and urging them to become co-sponsors of the bill that prohibits the president from launching a missile in the absence of a Congressional Declaration of War.  Of nine Massachusetts representatives in the House, only Reps. McGovern, Clark, and Tsongas have cosponsored so far; especially if you are a constituent of Reps. Capuano, Kennedy, Moulton, Lynch, Keating, or Neal, please contact them!   You can use this page to send your message<http://org.salsalabs.com/o/161/c/3952/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=21059>, or call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121.

     Once the injuries occur, we won’t be able to undo them. Please act now to prohibit presidential first use. Please ask your friends, neighbors, and co-workers to act as well – especially if their representatives in the House or Senate aren’t yet co-sponsors.

    By the way our next conference, "Minds Not Missiles: Reducing the Threat of Nuclear War<http://masspeaceaction.org/event/reducing-the-threat-of-nuclear-war/>", will be held at MIT on April 7-8.  We invite you to attend, and particularly request your help in calling that conference to the attention of students (travel support is available).

    With thanks and best wishes,

     Elaine Scarry
     author  Thermonuclear Monarchy: Choosing between Democracy and Doom
     Harvard University

      Jonathan King
      Chair, Nuclear Disarmament Working Group, Massachusetts Peace Action
      MIT

       Cole Harrison
       Executive Director, MAPA

--
"Not one step back"

Cole Harrison
Executive Director
Massachusetts Peace Action - the Commonwealth's largest grassroots peace organization
11 Garden St., Cambridge, MA 02138
617-354-2169 w
617-466-9274 m
www.masspeaceaction.org<http://www.masspeaceaction.org/>
Facebook: facebook.com/masspeaceaction<http://facebook.com/masspeaceaction>
Twitter: masspeaceaction

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png]<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>     Virus-free. www.avg.com<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
<x-msg://20/#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>