[Peace-discuss] Eschew fascism

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:15:28 UTC 2018

 I agree with your first three statements, especially the defining of left vs right given neoliberals are defined as “left” which is actually “left of center” vs. “right of center.” None the less, we have to accept that language is changing, based upon usage. Fascism is the term used when the state uses “militarism” to control the population. The militarization of our police, now places us in a “fascist state.”

If some do not agree, I suggest they look at African American communities, where the police arrest, incarcerate, shoot, and or kill, with impunity. One is jailed for lack of funds to pay fines, one is jailed for the most trivial of offenses. I see that as fascism. When people have no recourse or justice, in a land where the homeless are shunted or bused out of the cities, to experience worse poverty, where property can be confiscated by police with out just cause, when peaceful protestors can be arrested, I see that as a fascist state.

I will read Clara Zetkins book, and look deeper into that which Andre Arnove refers to as fascism and “concern in reference to fascism in Europe.” If he is referring to US interference in the Ukraine, which gave rise to a neo nazi, fascist government, then yes, that is something of which we as Americans should be concerned.

However, I fear USG military intervention, using fascism as a pretext.

As to populist, yes it did mean, and still does, working on behalf of the people to oppose the elites, unfortunately when referring to our two Party system, it is to be sneered at, given they both represent the elites, just as most established political parties in Europe, using populism as a means of positioning themselves as representing the people, when they in fact, usually represent the elites, or a faction thereof.