[Peace-discuss] Daily Tar Heel - Movement Founder Elaborates on Goals for Divestment

Boyle, Francis A fboyle at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 27 13:22:47 UTC 2018

Movement Founder Elaborates on Goals
By: Francis Boyle
Guest Columnist
Issue date: 10/14/02 Section: Viewpoints<http://www.dailytarheel.com/news/2002/10/14/Viewpoints/>

  *   Print<http://www.dailytarheel.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=ce488dc3-a6d0-4588-9d89-619ba7975913>
  *   Email<http://www.dailytarheel.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayEmailArticleForm&uStory_id=ce488dc3-a6d0-4588-9d89-619ba7975913>
  *   Article Tools<http://www.dailytarheel.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticle&uStory_id=ce488dc3-a6d0-4588-9d89-619ba7975913#cp_article_tools>

  *   Page 1 of 1
During the course of a public lecture I gave at Illinois State University in Bloomington-Normal on Nov. 30, 2000, I issued a call for the establishment of a nationwide campaign of divestment/disinvestment against Israel, which I later put on the Internet.
In response thereto, the Students for Justice in Palestine of the University of California-Berkeley launched a divestment campaign against Israel there.
Then the city of Ann Arbor, Mich., considered divesting from Israel.
Next, the Palestinian Students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (whom I am privileged to advise) launched an Israeli divestment campaign here. As of last count, more than 50 campuses in the United States have organized divestment/disinvestment campaigns against Israel.
This grassroots movement is taking off!
Concerned citizens and governments all over the world must organize a comprehensive campaign of economic divestment and disinvestment from Israel along the same lines of what they did to the former criminal apartheid regime in South Africa.
This original worldwide divestment/disinvestment campaign played a critical role in dismantling the criminal apartheid regime in South Africa.
See my "Defending Civil Resistance under International Law 211-81" (Transnational Publishers: 1987).
A worldwide divestment/disinvestment campaign against Israel will play a critical role in dismantling its criminal apartheid regime against the Palestinian people living in occupied Palestine as well as in Israel itself.
For much the same reasons, a worldwide divestment/disinvestment campaign against Israel can produce an historic reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians -- just as it successfully did between whites and blacks in South Africa.
This new divestment/disinvestment campaign should provide the Palestinians with enough economic and political leverage needed to negotiate a just and comprehensive peace settlement with the Israelis -- just as it did for the blacks in South Africa.
Today the Republic of South Africa stands as a beacon of hope for peoples and states all over the world.
The same could be true for Palestine and Israel.
Francis Boyle, a University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign law professor, started the divestment movement. E-mail him at fboyle at law.uiuc.edu<mailto:fboyle at law.uiuc.edu>.

Francis A. Boyle
Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.