[Peace-discuss] Is Capitalism a Threat to Democracy?

bjornsona at ameritech.net bjornsona at ameritech.net
Thu May 10 20:46:47 UTC 2018

My recent (and very short in duration)  visit to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia might confirm  that SOME authoritarianism in a human-planet-affirming direction is more attractive in SOME circumstances than the hellish hodge-podge we are experiencing in this country at this time. I missed 60 Minutes' interview of Prince Mohammed Bin Salman (MBS), which I heard was interesting. Apparently not too long ago, MBS decreed that the traditional Thursday-Friday weekend was not working (presumably for business dealings with the rest of the world), so he changed the weekend to Friday- Saturday. Just like that. Up until less than a year ago, I believe, there was one public cinema in S. A. MBS announced it was ok for Western movies to be shown, cinemas are popping up. Western ex-pats in certain areas find Saudi a safer place to raise children than in the West for many reasons. The propaganda we and the other major NATO citizen media consumers get here and have gotten for so many years is so biased, fals
 e, and pointed toward war with Iran that it can hardly be overstated. Imho. Anne
Sent from my LG Phoenix 2, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
------ Original message------From: Szoke, Ron via Peace-discussDate: Thu, May 10, 2018 12:29 PMTo: Peace Discuss;Cc: Bill Strutz;Subject:[Peace-discuss] Is Capitalism a Threat to Democracy?

From:
"Szoke, Ron" <r-szoke at illinois.edu>

Subject:
From
newyorker.com: Is Capitalism a Threat to Democracy?

Date:
May 10, 2018

The idea that authoritarianism attracts workers harmed by the free market, which emerged when the Nazis were in power, has been making a comeback.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/05/14/is-capitalism-a-threat-to-democracy