[Peace-discuss] FW: SNYT Review: Hans Morgenthau Was not a Prophet of Doom!

Boyle, Francis A fboyle at illinois.edu
Sun May 13 14:12:21 UTC 2018

Francis A. Boyle
Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.
Champaign IL 61820 USA
217-333-7954 (phone)
217-244-1478 (fax)
(personal comments only)

From: Boyle, Francis A
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2018 9:12 AM
To: sectns.aals at lists.aals.org
Subject: SNYT Review: Hans Morgenthau Was not a Prophet of Doom!

"If Morgenthau was a "prophet of doom," his prophecy failed."
Hans Morgenthau was not a "Prophet of Doom." Having studied with him for  almost a decade, all he was trying to do was to provide us with  a realistic assessment of where the world was going if it continued with  the nuclear arms race. In contradiction to those who argued in favor of "limited nuclear war" like Kahn, Wohlstetter, Kissinger, et al. Morgenthau thought nuclear weapons were "insane." At our last meeting at his Home in Manhattan about six months before he died, in answer to my question about the future, Morgenthau told me that he was afraid I was going to live to see a Third World War, a Strategic Nuclear War. See the account of that last  conversation in my book World Politics and International (Duke University Press: 1985). The verdict is still out whether I will die from natural causes or Nuclear Armageddon.
Fab, AB, UChicago, in Political Science, 1971/72
[Boylebookemail.JPG]