[Peace-discuss] FW: The Vietnam War Debate: Hans J Morgenthau and the Attempt to Halt the Drift Into Disaster

Boyle, Francis A fboyle at illinois.edu
Sun May 13 14:56:02 UTC 2018

Francis A. Boyle
Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.
Champaign IL 61820 USA
217-333-7954 (phone)
217-244-1478 (fax)
(personal comments only)

From: Boyle, Francis
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:59 AM
To: Killeacle <fboyle at uiuc.edu>
Subject: The Vietnam War Debate: Hans J Morgenthau and the Attempt to Halt the Drift Into Disaster

Francis A. Boyle
Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.
Champaign, Illinois 61820
217-333-7954 (voice)
217-244-1478 (fax)
(personal comments only)

Louis B. Zimmer's The Vietnam War Debate: Hans J. Morgenthau and the Attempt to Halt the Drift into Disaster (Lexington Books: 2011).
by
Professor Francis A. Boyle
University of Illinois College of Law

Hans Morgenthau was my teacher, mentor and friend. He recommended me for my law professorship. It was my great honor and distinct pleasure to have studied with Morgenthau while he was heroically leading the forces of opposition to the genocidal Vietnam War at great personal cost to himself and his family. Morgenthau's stellar example of brilliance in the service of courage, integrity and principles has inspired and motivated me now for over four decades. After reading Zimmer's compelling book, Morgenthau will do the same for you. Zimmer vividly brings back to life Morgenthau, his epic battle against the Vietnam War, and those tumultuous and tragic events that shaped my generation and determined the destinies of two nations only now beginning to reconcile -- a volte-face preternaturally predicted by Morgenthau during the darkest days of the wars.  This book is required reading for all those seeking to pursue peace with justice in today's increasingly troubled and endangered world. Humanity desperately needs more like Morgenthau in order to survive. Zimmer explains why.  A real tour de force of engaged historical research and scholarship.