[Peace-discuss] The problems of gunownershipr

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Sun May 20 14:08:48 UTC 2018

For many years, long before the school shootings at Columbine, I have been arguing against US gun ownership. Realizing the high rate of deaths in the US as a result of shootings, accidental or otherwise. Just compare to the UK where the police on the beat didn't carry firearms, Japan, where they make it extremely difficult and time consuming to obtain a weapon. Then we have Australia, a culture of immigrants similar to that of the US, with the same "cowboy mentality" and a record of genocide against their indigenous peoples.

Slavery and the need to control, is the major reason for the proliferation of weapons in the US from our very founding. Our Constitution supporting a "well armed militia," was for that very purpose, legitimizing killings and lynchings of rebellious slaves. The one amendment we certainly have upheld while destroying most others.

Today the problem of shootings in America is much bigger than just gun ownership. We have gone so far down that road, there is no longer any ability to shut the barn doors. It's tied up with our foreign policy of war, interventions, and the proliferation of weapons, given they are the only thing we manufacture.

Our drug wars, our incarceration of those committing victimless crimes, homelessness and debt, global warming, lack of medical care, and poverty is all part and parcel of the same for profit "system." People including our children, unless privileged, are considered expendables.

Imperialism is the end stage of capitalism, and we are there, cannibalizing our own.