[Peace-discuss] FW: For publication: Reply to Gilbert Doctorow

Boyle, Francis A fboyle at illinois.edu
Mon May 21 19:08:05 UTC 2018

Francis A. Boyle
Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820 USA
217-333-7954 (phone)
217-244-1478 (fax)
(personal comments only)

From: Boyle, Francis A
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2018 2:08 PM
To: sectns.aals at lists.aals.org
Subject: FW: For publication: Reply to Gilbert Doctorow

Subject: For publication: Reply to Gilbert Doctorow

I would like to reply to the thoughtful  comments by Gilbert Doctorow in the 21 May 2018 Issue 2018-#91 about our mutual  teacher Richard Pipes. I deliberately graduated from the exact same Harvard PHD Program that produced Kissinger and Brzezinski before me: The Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Department of Government, where Harvard trains its future Professors of Political Science-not the Kennedy School.  They even gave me Kissinger's old office at Harvard's Center for International Affairs when I was an Associate there. Kissinger and Brzezinski had left Harvard by the time I matriculated there in the Law School in September of 1971. So I did not study with them. But of course I had to familiarize myself with their writings and their records in order to get  my three graduate degrees over my seven  year stay at Harvard before becoming  an Assistant Professor of Law at the University of Illinois College of Law in Champaign.  I fully agree with Gilbert that Brzezinski was just as bad as Pipes and for the exact same reasons. I also fully agree with Gilbert that  Brzezinski's direct impact on American Foreign Policy was  far more deleterious and insidious than anything Pipes did working for Reagan for those two years. My primary grievance against Pipes is Academic: There is no way Harvard should have had Pipes abusing  Russian History, Russia, the Russians for his  entire generation teaching there. By comparison, I always found Ned Keenan to be fair, balanced and reasonable when it came to Russia and the Russians-RIP.
      Not to defend Henry Kissinger. But he knew no more and no less  about Russia than anyone else getting a Standard PHD in the Harvard Government Department  specializing in International Relations--as I did with Stanley Hoffmann, RIP.
Francis A. Boyle
Professor of Law
Kissy and Timmy and Me

"You're moving into Kissinger's old office"
Said Bud, the wizened old janitor
And a decent guy at that

"His file cabinets are in there"
Sure enough they were