[Peace-discuss] Don't send a Democrat to the House

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed May 23 06:25:00 UTC 2018

I promise that if Betsy Dirksen Londrigan is elected to the House, she will
vote against unauthorized U.S. participation in the Saudi war in Yemen. She
and her staff have given me personal commitments to this effect. I would
not be supporting her so strongly otherwise.

I promise that if Democrats retake the House, we will get more votes in the
House on war and peace. Just now the House Rules Committee blocked floor
consideration of Rep. Khanna's amendment to the National Defense
Authorization Act that would have prohibited U.S. refueling of Saudi
warplanes bombing Yemen. If Dems retake the House, Jim McGovern will be
chair of the Rules Committee. It's going to be an anti-war amendment
Jamboree.

I'm totally in favor of giving Democrats a hard time on war and peace. But
ultra-left electoral abstentionism hasn't done squat and isn't going to do
squat to give Democrats a hard time on war and peace. Democratic
politicians care about ultra-left electoral abstentionism like the ocean
cares about the discharge of a squirt gun. Some people may find ultra-left
electoral abstentionism emotionally satisfying personally, but then we
should understand that what is driving them is a selfish personal desire
for self-actualization, not an informed desire to make the world less
unjust.

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy