[Peace-discuss] Virginia Gilmore, RIP

Mildred O'brien moboct1 at aim.com
Mon May 28 14:23:40 UTC 2018

It was with great fondness and sadness do I recall the profound effect of the Gilmores when I read the May 23 News-Gazette obituary of Virginia "Ginny" Gilmore at age 93.  Virginia and Gene, U.I. professor of journalism who died last year at age 96, were devoted members of the Society of  Friends, WILF, and backbone of the active peace and civil rights movements and opponents of nuclear arms in Champaign-Urbana. Their tireless commitment to social justice was a profound influence and inspiration in the local community until they moved to California to live with children.

I was surprised to learn that they were not cradle Quakers, in fact, Ginny became a "Rosie the Riveter" after high school in Michigan during the WW II defense effort and later joined the Women's Army Corp which provided the GI Bill for her education at Alma College, where she met and married Gene, a graduate of Michigan Univ. and also a WW II veteran.  While Gene was a professor at Syracuse University they became members of the Society of Friends when they visited a Pennsylvania Meeting House and converted to peace and social justice issues.  Those of us fortunate to have known and enjoyed their company are left with respect for their lives and fond memories they left in the community.

Midge O'Brien