[Peace-discuss] News from Neptune 2 November 2018

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 02:49:17 UTC 2018

[J. B. Nicholson]  Notes on News from Neptune episode #401
"Why Vote?” edition

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN6v5JKjQ-U

Links to items mentioned on the show.

Thomas Ferguson & Benjamin Page on "The Economic and Social Roots of Populist Rebellion: Support for Donald Trump in 2016"
https://www.ineteconomics.org/…/the-economic-and-social-roo…

Related: https://theintercept.com/…/the-midterms-are-days-away-what…/-- "The Midterms Are Days Away. What Will Drive Trump Voters: Race or Class?" (Political scientist John Sides debates The Intercept’s senior politics editor Briahna Joy Gray on whether Trump voters were motivated by race or class.)

My answer: Probably class.

Jonathan Cook on "Bolsonaro: a Monster Engineered by Our Media"
https://www.counterpunch.org/…/bolsonaro-a-monster-enginee…/

Max Fischer on "The Weaknesses in Liberal Democracy That May Be Pulling It Apart"
https://www.nytimes.com/…/am…/democracy-brazil-populism.html

Stephen F. Cohen on "Who’s Really ‘Undermining’ American Democracy?"
https://on.rt.com/9hrz
https://www.thenation.com/…/whos-really-undermining-americ…/

The Real News on fascism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROqYhUGvKUo -- with Ben Norton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqcuA26CbOE -- with Paul Jay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LRlOd-Pies

Karen E. Fields and Barbara J. Fields' "RACE CRAFT: The Soul of Inequality in American Life"
Complete text: https://thecharnelhouse.org/…/barbara-j-fields-and-karen-fi…
Interview: https://www.jacobinmag.com/…/karen-barbara-fields-racecraf…/

Dead Pundits Society shows (including Adolph Reed, Jr. episodes)
RSS feed: https://feeds.soundcloud.com/…/soundcloud:users:…/sounds.rss

Adolph Reed, Jr. on "The Trouble With Uplift"
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-trouble-with-uplift-reed

Bruce Dixon on "How Stupid Do Stacey Abrams, Lucy McBath and Most Other Progressive Democrat Congressional Candidates Think We Are?"
https://blackagendareport.com/how-stupid-do-stacey-abrams-l…

Stacey Abrams on Democracy Now (Amy Goodman pushing identity politics in order to stump for an inadequate candidate we haven't been given good reason to support.)
https://www.democracynow.org/…/meet_stacey_abrams_democrat_…
https://www.democracynow.org/…/oprah_winfrey_campaigns_with…

New York Times on "Yemen Girl Who Turned World’s Eyes to Famine Is Dead"
https://www.nytimes.com/…/yemen-starvation-amal-hussain.html

-J