[Peace-discuss] Reponse to Proyect Counterpunch article on Marxmail thread

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 18:00:43 UTC 2018

   Re: [Marxism] [pen-l] Why are Democrats okay with losing? | Louis
   Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist
   ------------------------------
   ------------------------------
   Mark Lause (historian) replies to Michael Meeropol (son of Julius and
   Ethel Rosenberg)

   In the end, Mike, I don't think it's a matter of the dangers of Trump and
   "Trumpism," but the effectiveness and seriousness of the Democratic Party
   in opposing it.

   I'm sure we're all agreed that the Democrats coauthored what we all agree
   to be the curse of neo-liberalism and of plaguing the planet with more
   and
   more intense wars. I think we are also agree that neither earned any
   praise for directly addressing the persistence of systemic racism and
   sexism. They never do without a massive and insistent pressure from the
   people.

   The key question is what have the Democrats done over the last half
   century
   to justify our seeing them as a viable vehicle for opposing Trump.

   The record certainly indicates that they were utterly incapable of
   thwarting the Trump ascendancy, a task rather easier than unseating an
   established wrong. Indeed, they boasted that they would not hold Bush to
   account for his WMD lies, something that the most minimal requirement of
   their oaths of office required. But, then again, they didn't even
   investigate Reagan's criminal activities with any seriousness and they
   dropped their investigation of Nixon's activities once he decided to
   leave
   office.

   Can you provide a single case of the Democratic party nationally
   accomplishing something for the laboring people of this country? (The
   nationalization of Romneycare--the implementation of Nixon's old proposal
   doesn't count.)

   And, if you can't do that, give me one real reason to justify any faith
   in
   a party that has embraces and celebrates the same ideology and practice
   of
   the Republicans--from trickle down economics to war drones--and hasn't
   really even felt much of an impulse to do anything substantive for us
   since
   the civil rights legislation of the middle 1960s . . . half century ago.

   Comradely,
   Mark L.

   http://www.marxmail.org/msg155016.html