[Peace-discuss] This morning the White House signed an order...

Szoke, Ron r-szoke at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 21 19:35:21 UTC 2018

Today:  A step closer to military occupation & martial law nationwide.

https://www.facebook.com/Stonekettle/posts/1955167891185271

(59) Jim Wright - This morning the White House signed an order...

This morning the White House signed an order authorizing MILITARY forces on the border to engage in law enforcement activity and the use of deadly force.

According to Military Times (hardly a bastion of liberalism), the order was signed by Chief of Staff John Kelly, not Trump -- as if that makes any difference. Via the concept of Command by Negation, if Trump as Commander in Chief does not himself countermand that order, then legally it's the same as if he signed it himself.

I warned you people.

I did.

I warned you this would happen. And when I did, a whole bunch of you started shouting "posse comitatus."

Some of you REALLY have no idea how much the United States has changed since 911, since the Patriot Act and the Protect America Act. You see it all around you, everyday, rendition of American citizens, warrantless searches, mass surveillance of US citizens by the US intelligence community, the militarization of law enforcement, and you STILL think you're living in America of old.

You're not.

I told you that these troops would be used for law enforcement, that they would be given Rules of Engagement that authorized deadly force. There's no point in sending ARMED TROOPS otherwise. If you just need somebody to sling concertina wire, put up tents, and hand out MREs, you can hire contractors for a whole lot less grief than deploying troops. If you send ARMED TROOPS, then you intend to use them. And Trump has been using VERY specific language. Invasion. Assault. TERRORISTS. Posse comitatus doesn't apply when you're talking about TERRORISM. The Constitution doesn't apply when you're talking about TERRORISM. Not since 911. Not since the Patriot Act. And we right now have a President and a Congress and a Court who believe in all the most extreme positions of this, from torture, to rendition, to militarization of law enforcement, to suspension of habeas corpus, to jailing of the press, to deadly force against whomever THEY decide might be an enemy of the state.

Do you sons of bitches believe me NOW?

Now I know what's going to happen here, you're going to tell me that the orders are limited, that deadly force is only authorized in defense of other troops and Border Patrol agents. That the law enforcement roles are limited. Posse Comitatus, you're going to say, because some of you just can't help it. Yeah, and last week the White House very specifically said the troops would have NO direct contact with either the public or immigrants and that their role would be limited to support functions ONLY. Last week the President said the Troops were being sent home. Yesterday, Trump said they'd be staying on the border and not to offer them any sympathy for being away from their families during the holidays because that's what they signed up for.

What will their role be NEXT week?

I warned you people. This is not the America you think you know. The rules have changed.