[Peace-discuss] The pro-war political establishment

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 14:13:54 UTC 2018

https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos/482056905531231/UzpfSTEyMjgyNTU3NjI6MTAyMTM0MDg0NTMxMDU2MTU/

[Kathleen League] Straight talk from Carlson about the recent anonymous NYT op-ed insider ‘resistance’ piece.

As Carlson notes, the NYT op-ed basically puts forth the claim that since Trump’s views on policy differ from those of the permanent Washington establishment, therefore Trump’s presidency is illegitimate. The op-ed breathlessly intones that Trump doesn’t believe Russia is a central threat to the US and he resisted imposing even more crushing sanctions on Russia. The op-ed writer asserts “But thankfully, his national security team knew better. Such actions had to be taken.”

Tucker Carlson responds:

“Trump ran on closer relations with Russia. Voters agreed with that, so they elected him President. And yet the tiny and incompetent foreign policy establishment, the very same people who brought you Iraq and Libya, do not agree with that. So they subvert his views which are also the views of the American people. And yet this ‘resistance’ is somehow a win for democracy and we should all celebrate.

“Trump’s attempts to do what he promised on the campaign trail are not a travesty. Politicians are supposed to respond to voters’ concerns. That is the basic measure of success of a political administration. Did you do what voters sent you to do? In Washington, that’s considered shocking.

“The problem is that so many in our political class are disloyal to voters. The very people in charge of administering our democracy don’t believe in democracy. They don’t even hide it. That’s a problem, a big problem.”

###