[Peace-discuss] Comment From Midge O'Brien

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 04:43:06 UTC 2018

In Supreme Clarence Thomas-lynching fashion, Kavanagh's performance
yesterday appeared to be well orchestrated and rehearsed first with flashes
of self-righteouds anger and indignation at his and his family's reputation
"totally and permanently destroyed," to pouting, whimpering, simpering
self-pity at recalling his mother and father, (I thought Senator Grassley
might give him a box of tissues), continuing on to his adamant denial of
ever having done "this" but confessing that maybe he drank a little too
much beer in his youth ("legal at age 18" at the time) as possibly his
worst youthful transgression, ending the day's testimony of worthless
Congressional hearings supposedly to evaluate whether he is worthy of being
appointed a Supreme judge for life of legal conduct of American life.  Nary
a question from Senators about the ethical and moral character pf his role
in his political careers advising and implementing policies concerning
sexual abuse and torture of U.S. captives in Iraq and dark sites throughout
the world, or inconsistencies in his moral compass while pursuing faults of
others.

Whereas he was careful not to impugn the character or contest the veracity
of his accuser (done a disservice by the trivial questioning and remarks of
her partisan supporters), he dismissed her as mistaken or a confused victim
of someone else.  He couldn't be an abuser, demonstrating chivalorus
decorum toward women by not labeling her a liar.  He established in his
reply to Texas Senator John Kennedy that he believes in God (worked for his
one-time boss, W. Bush, when he was running for president), so he couldn't
possibly tell a lie (or sexually assault this woman or anyone).

I wasted a couple of hours watching the Kabuki theatre (as Francis Boyle
aptly called it) but I simply had to witness it for myself, which I must
say lived up to expectations of a stellar Clarence Thomas performance!  I
am surprised that my email box was not filled with commentary from the
usual blogs critiquing this event.  Maybe they boycotted it--and missed an
outstanding performance, or else were so repulsed they couldn't believe
what they saw (my box was nevertheless filled with 45 appeals for donations
to the usual political organizations as a platform for their fundraising,
which I had to delete)

Midge O'Brien