[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Nina Paley's panel, "material reality", controlling the debate .... was Re: [Peace] Panel at UFL today at 3

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 18:14:03 UTC 2019

I think the equation of the broad civil rights movement, including
feminism, with transgender demands is a specious one; what opportunities
are transgender folk being excluded from? Minorities and women have their
lives and opportunities structured around the exploitation of labor, in
conjunction with the working class. Unfortunately, the efforts of A.
Phillip Randolph, Bayard Rustin, and MLK to conjoin the movement to a
strong working class movement were unsuccessful, including because the
former two were not willing to oppose the Vietnam War.

It seems to me that the whole discourse around the selection of gender
identity has (not accidentally I think) vacated any notion of structural
transformation based on material production and social reproduction. It's
almost as if it is a parody of civil rights movements. Given, the civil
rights movement (broadly speaking) has fallen into customary ways of
thinking about capitalism, equal opportunity, meritocracy, etc.; that is,
within the framework of identity politics. But the transgender rights
movement seems, in an ironic way, to glorify the capitalist status quo. And
they affirm that partly by efforts to silence their critics, such as they
have done with Nina Paley. Ironically once more, there is a fascist tone to
their discourse, if you can call it that.

DG