[Peace-discuss] Postponed means no-platformed

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 10:25:23 UTC 2019

Karen—

We all know that the adoption of the 1787 constitution, which established the federal government, was followed almost immediately by an important series of amendments (the Bill of Rights), by which local elites attempted to delimit the powers of the new federal government. They had reluctantly agreed to that government, specifically to protect themselves from the demands for more democracy from the working classes. (See Gore Vidal, “Homage to Daniel Shays.”)

'The primary responsibility of government is "to protect the minority of the opulent against the majority," Madison declared. That has been the guiding principle of the democratic system from its origins until today.’ <https://chomsky.info/profit02/>.

The first ten amendments (1791) were attempts to constrain the new federal government. These limitations (notably the First Amendment's prohibiting the federal government’s interfering with  freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and right to petition) were gradually extended to state and local government in the US (not without dispute), but it's important to note that were established particularly in opposition to the federal government.

In spite of the First Amendment’s prohibitions, the federal government has regularly interfered with those rights, notably in the Espionage Act (1917), which had little to do with espionage and much to do with suppressing criticism of US war-making. (The Obama administration employed the Espionage Act more than all other US administrations combined; it seems to be at the base of the USG’s attempt to silence Wikileaks' revelation to a yet-unknowing world of US war crimes.)

In regard to Mill’s asseveration, the principal question today in regard to freedom of speech, etc., is Who’s going to bell the cat? The NYTImes, Facebook, etc. seem to have been delegated and licensed "to prevent harm to others” (principally to the 1% and their minions) by suppressing those freedoms.

Regards, CGE