[Peace-discuss] Tell Neera Tanden to stop taking warhawk money for CAP

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Apr 17 18:36:07 UTC 2019

Actually, I think the stuff in our alert from the NYT article was even more
damning than this Jewish Currents article, in the sense that the Jewish
Currents article mostly portrays CAP as running with these right-wing
forces on foreign policy [Netanyahu, Saudi, UAE] without addressing
motivation, whereas the NYT article [also] tied this to CAP's funding -
i.e., the NYT made the same assertion, and on top of that made a documented
accusation about mercenary motivation.

> In particular, the Times notes that “From 2016 through last year [during
which time Saudi-UAE were starving tens of thousands of Yemeni children to
death], the center accepted nearly *$2.5 million from the United Arab
Emirates* to fund its National Security and International Policy
initiative, according to previously unreported internal budget documents.”
It’s actually the UAE, even more than its close ally the Saudi regime, that
has starved 85,000 Yemeni children to death by blockading Yemeni civilians.

> The Times notes that in November 2015,* Tanden invited Benjamin Netanyahu
to CAP in order to cultivate Jonathan Lavine, a managing partner at Bain
Capital, a pro-Netanyahu donor, who gave CAP $1 million.* On the day of the
Netanyahu visit, Tanden told CAP’s founder, John Podesta, that the “far
left hates me” for hosting Netanyahu, but *the invitation “may have sealed
the deal with” Lavine*. The next month, *Tanden wrote a jubilant email to
Podesta, telling him Lavine was joining the CAP board. “So Netanyahu was
worth it,” Tanden said. Lavine’s foundation remains a big donor to CAP, the
Times says.*

===

Robert Reuel Naiman
Policy Director