[Peace-discuss] News from Neptune #433 notes

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 16:54:14 UTC 2019

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/08/patrick-crusius-texas-el-paso-massacre-shooting-gun-laws

The World That Made the El Paso Mass Shooter

After the August 3 mass shooting in El Paso that left twenty-two dead and
twenty-four injured, Dan Patrick
<https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-legislature/2019/01/09/dan-patrick-says-bathroom-bill-fight-settled-won>,
the right-wing-radio-host-turned-Texas-lieutenant-governor, offered a glib
explanation
<https://www.texastribune.org/2019/08/04/dan-patrick-video-games-el-paso-shooting/>
for
what turned Patrick Crusius, the twenty-one-year-old who drove ten hours
from his home in the Dallas–Fort Worth area to an El Paso Walmart in hopes
of slaughtering the highest number of Mexican immigrants possible, into a
mass murderer. It was the lack of school prayer and the popularity of
violent video games, Patrick insisted. “We’ve always had guns, always had
evil, but I see a video game industry that teaches young people to kill,”
he said on Fox and Friends the next day, as the nation reeled from
massacres not just in El Paso, but also in Dayton, Ohio.

For self-styled “pro–Second Amendment” politicians like Patrick, who in
2018 received an A+ rating
<https://www.danpatrick.org/patrick-endorsed-by-national-rifle-association-nra-pvf/>
from
the National Rifle Association, the focus on Call of Duty and other
shoot-’em-up entertainment certainly diverted attention from the state’s
Wild West–like gun laws. In Texas, handguns can be carried openly
<https://www.texastribune.org/2019/08/06/texas-gun-laws/>or concealed in
most public places. The AK-47-style weapon Crusius used in his spree is
legal in the state. And Texas’s lax gun regulations will become even looser
on September 1, when gun owners will be able to carry concealed weapons
into churches, synagogues, and other houses of worship, and without a
license for up to forty-eight hours anywhere under a mandatory evacuation
order following a natural disaster. (In spite of all that legally permitted
firepower, Texas recorded
<https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/21/states-most-and-least-gun-violence-see-where-your-state-stacks-up/359395002>
434.4
violent crimes per 100,000 persons in 2017, seventeenth-highest in the
country and outranked only by states with similar gun laws.)