[Peace-discuss] Affection for the poorly educated

Mildred O'brien moboct1 at aim.com
Fri Aug 30 13:34:19 UTC 2019

I don't equate anti-intellectualism with the "uneducated" (sans university diploma), as some of the worst offenders in the former rank among uneducated PhDs. Midge -----Original Message-----
From: David Green via Peace-discuss <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
To: C G Estabrook <cgestabrook at gmail.com>
Cc: Ron Szoke <r-szoke at illinois.edu>; Peace Discuss <peace-discuss at anti-war.net>; peace-discuss <peace-discusss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Thu, Aug 29, 2019 12:44 pm
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Affection for the poorly educated

As I've pointed out on numerous occasion on News from Neptune, the goal of NYT writers like Edsall and David Leonhardt is to employ as much "social science" analysis as they can in order to support the establishment neoliberal Democrats (Biden; if he doesn't work then Harris; if she doesn't work, then Buttigeg).
Their arguments, as in this case from Edsall, feature stereotypical caricatures of allegedly racist white voters, and elitist assumptions about "the value of a higher education ("anti-racist" training) for allegedly non-racist white voters. Interestingly, this tactic is also employed by Anthony DiMaggio on Counterpunch, as he has done since Trump's election:
https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/08/21/fascist-nation-the-alt-right-menace-persists-despite-setbacks-2/

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:32 AM C G Estabrook via Peace-discuss <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net> wrote:

David is quite right. And an honest appeal like that would resonate with many of those eligible voters (54%?) who did vote.

People are not fools, in spite of the efforts of the greatest propaganda system in history.   —CGE