[Peace-discuss] Fw: SAVE THE DATE: Taken in the Heartland: A Conversation about Civil Asset Forfeiture

Dianna Visek divisek at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 30 15:23:57 UTC 2019

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Pam Dempsey <pamelagdempsey at investigatemidwest.org>To: "divisek at yahoo.com" <divisek at yahoo.com>Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019, 9:59:56 AM CDTSubject: SAVE THE DATE: Taken in the Heartland: A Conversation about Civil Asset Forfeiture
   Put the evening of Monday, September 16, 2019 on your calendar

|    |

SAVE THE DATE: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 16 AT 6:30 PM

Taken in the Heartland:
A Conversation about Civil Asset Forfeiture

|    |

|    |

Under civil forfeiture laws, the government is able to take cash, cars, homes and other property suspected of being involved in criminal activity, without charging the property owner with a crime.

Getting it back? Well, that's a whole different story.

|    |
|  Pontoon Beach Police Department on June 2, 2019.
Darrell Hoemann/Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting  |

|    |

Monday, September 16, 2019
6:30 - 9:00 pm
Champaign Public Library
Join us for a panel discussion to delve into the issues that arose with civil asset forfeiture, and hear directly from journalists, attorneys, and experts. There will be time after the moderated panel for an audience Q & A session.

Tickets are free, but RSVP is requested through Eventbrite

Light refreshments provided.

Panelists

Ben Rudell, attorney, ACLU of Illinois

Stephen Komie, attorney, Komie and Associates

Bill Frievogel, professor, School of Journalism of Southern Illinois University

Moderator

Brant Houston, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation Chair in Investigative and Enterprise Reporting at the University of Illinois

|    |

|  Find Out More  |

|  Check out  previous coverage of this issue
 TAKEN: Despite reforms, burden still heavy on owners of seized property
By Karen Liu and Pam Dempsey/Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting; June 10, 2019

Taken: Reforms to state civil forfeiture laws still lag, critics say
By Karen Liu and Pam Dempsey/Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting June 10, 2019

See all coverage by the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting

|  Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting

Illinois Humanities

CU Citizen Access

Knight Chair Of Investigative Reporting, Journalism Department At The College Of Media, University Of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting  |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|  Copyright © 2019 Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting, All rights reserved.
 You are receving this email because you like our news coverage, data tools, events and workshops. Thanks!

 Our mailing address is:
 Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting701 Devonshire DrChampaign, IL 61820
Add us to your address book