[Peace-discuss] Monthly Anti-War Demos

James M james.manrique at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 22:03:25 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I had discussed with a few of you in the past about trying to get some new
energy into the monthly AWARE anti-war demos, and I'm writing to follow up
on the progress of this.

One of the ideas was to combine efforts with another like-minded anti-war
group in town, perhaps PSL or DSA.

I've reached out to Peter of the local PSL chapter. And he & PSL have
expressed interests in helping us with our monthly anti-war demo. One idea
that came up in the discussions with Peter was the idea of doing a monthly
teach-in the week after the demo. We could hand out flyers for the teach-in
to those passing by, and this can be a tangible thing to bring in outside
citizens to the local anti-war movement.

Peter has offered to organize the plans & logistics of the teach-in. And
the topics would focus on how Champaign County connects to global war.
Potential examples include: our congressman & senators have voted in favor
of expanding military budgets, the UIUC law department is very favorable to
promoting legal reasons why war is ok (example, the alan dershowitz talks),
and the connections of the local tech industries to NSA & the military.
These teach-ins could further expand on potential ways to impact or protest
these local connections to war.

Peter suggested to try and do the first teach-in this January. That may
still be a little hasty (and january is always a tough month in general
because of the cold), but Peter & I are both willing to dive into things
head first and see how they go.

I'd love to see new energy at the demos, and I think there is plenty of
potential in this plan or a plan similar.

Do these sound like good ideas? Are there things we should change or do
different? Would anyone like to help with the planning &/or prepping?

(Karen, I believe Peter was also going to email you directly and discuss
more about some of the history of the AWARE demos.)

Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks!

James Manrique