[Peace-discuss] Notes

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Dec 20 00:39:41 UTC 2019

News is coming fast
Need time to digest it all
Constipation hurts

Here are some topics to consider discussing on News from Neptune and/or
AWARE on the Air. If I had to give the notes a theme name, I'd call them
the "exploitation edition".

Syria/War: More OPCW leaks further confirm the alleged Syrian chemical
attack was a staged chemical weapons incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o6RA6C2WDM -- Aaron Maté interviews former
Newsweek journalist Tareq Haddad who quit his job over Newsweek's refusal
to cover the OPCW’s [Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons]
unfolding Syria scandal.

https://thegrayzone.com/2019/12/19/newsweek-reporter-quits-after-editors-block-coverage-of-opcw-syria-scandal/
--
> According to whistleblower testimony and leaked documents, OPCW
> officials raised alarm about the suppression of critical findings that
> undermine the allegation that the Syrian government committed a chemical
> weapons attack in the city of Douma in April 2018. Haddad’s editors at
> Newsweek rejected his attempts to cover the story. “If I don’t find
> another position in journalism because of this, I’m perfectly happy to
> accept that consequence,” Haddad says. “It’s not desirable. But there is
> no way I could have continued in that job knowing that I couldn’t report
> something like this.”

https://tareqhaddad.com/2019/12/14/lies-newsweek-and-control-of-the-media-narrative-first-hand-account/
-- Haddad's own account of what happened and why he left Newsweek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWJbdIqwJBU -- Jimmy Dore interviews Max
Blumenthal on many topics including the corporate/neocon support for
smearing anyone who pointed out the Venezuelan coup (including The Grayzone
Project crew's Anya Parampil & Max Blumenthal), and the additional OPCW
leaks which confirm that the Syrian chemical attack was a manufactured
pretext to ostensibly justify the US/UK/French coordinated attack.

Here's a transcript of the Syria portion of the interview starting around
41m08s into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWJbdIqwJBU

Background: Higgins is a founder of Bellingcat, a website known for
spreading neocon-supporting lies in the Skripal and Douma investigations
among others. Relating to the US' Venezuela coup attempts, Blumenthal was
arrested and had his home raided on the basis of the allegation from a
58-year-old immigrant woman who supports the Venezuelan coup. As of
mid-December 2019, police recently dropped Blumenthal's false charges.

[On screen: Jimmy Dore shows
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1191679166111977479 a tweet from
Eliot Higgins which Dore is about to read.]

> [...]
> know who he is. And he's not foolin' anybody.
>
> Max Blumenthal: Consider the dissonance between the conversation we're
> having now and the conversation people are witnessing here about
> Bellingcat and their record and what's sold to the rest of the public.
> Bellingcat just won an international Emmy for this bunk documentary
> about how great they are and what a genius Higgins is. And they're being
> celebrated in the New York Times, and in fact, one of the New York Times
> new Directors of Investigation came out of Bellingcat. So the New York
> Times is actually hiring people from this organization which is
> intimately linked to the national security state. So it's like they're
> all part of the same apparatus. If you're not turning to alternative
> media on this you're going to be left completely in the dark about why
> we are going to war or sanctioning this or that country.
>
> Jimmy Dore: So the budget director, David Stockman, for Ronald Reagan
> [...] was recently on Fox Business with Maria Buttafuoco [Maria
> Bartiromo] and they were pushing the Syria lie and he [Stockman] said of
> course he [Assad] didn't gas his own people! Like everybody says so!
> Well he [Stockman] says you've gotta quit listening to the mainstream
> media! Get outside the mainstream -- this is a guy from the Reagan
> administration telling Fox News that they've gotta get out of the
> mainstream news if they wanna get the truth about Syria. So I think
> people know [not to trust the mainstream media]. I don't think anybody
> believes the mainstream media anymore on Syria, do you?
>
> Max Blumenthal: I actually went through Douma where the attack occurred.
> I wasn't able to go to the location because the Syrian military controls
> access. But I went through Douma, I saw it. And I went with someone who
> was from Douma who actually had to leave because the so-called Moderate
> Rebels took over his neighborhood and set up a recruiting center for the
> Saudi-funded militia known as the Army of Islam. And he told me that
> everybody in Syria, this wasn't affiliated with someone from the Syrian
> government, [...] he told me that everybody was watching that day that
> the chemical attack was said to have occurred. And the rebels in the
> area are said to have been completely defeated. The Syrian military had
> no reason to drop a chemical weapon, they'd already won! And then the
> last-ditch attempt by the rebels to stir up a US military event --
> intervention -- took place where they basically staged this incident.
> And nobody in Syria believed there was a chemical attack. [...] They
> were watching live on TV, there was a livestream setup in the area on
> all the state TV channels so it wasn't like they were trying to hide
> anything either. And when I went to Syria, I just got mercilessly
> attacked by this same echo chamber because, obviously, they don't want
> me to show what's going on in and around Damascus.

Labor/Exploitation: Child labor in the Congolese cobalt mines gets a court
hearing as Congolese families sue tech giants over their dead, maimed, and
exploited children who have suffered mining cobalt for the tech giants.
Cobalt is used in batteries which are found in every tracker/cell phone,
laptop, and car; cobalt is thus one of many materials needed for our
so-called "green future" in which we shift to powering more of our gadgets
with batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7lQQiKzKMs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJyELDmmFvA -- RT's reports (RT is one of
the few places to get coverage that doesn't shy away from criticizing the
tech industry on this issue; plenty of other corporate-framed discussion
sites like Slashdot and Hacker News permit neoliberal commentary which
discourage questioning modern-day tech practices and discourage keeping
older computers for longer).

jbn: Free software has a part to play in this as well -- free software is
published software which we're free to run, inspect, share, and modify
including commercially. Free software gives us a practical reason to care
about how our computers work, even if we're non-technical computer users
who can't directly use the technical information ourselves. Computers that
operate fully using free software are computers that we can keep in service
longer. The computers we use were very likely produced with exploitative
practices, but we can make processes that use the advanced capabilities of
today's computers by not relying on others getting newer computers every
other year (which is exactly what tracker/cell phone manufacturers urge us
all to do about once every other year). Current practices fuel the
exploitation which Alphabet (Google), Apple, and other tech giants are
rightly accused of.

Democrats/Russiagate: What if the impeachment process doesn't go well for
the Democrats? "Plan B" is to bring back the Mueller report!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmXrYjFll7o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24z4bxIgP4k --

RT: It's difficult to understand the purpose of last night's impeachment
vote: why should the upper house of the US Congress pass judgment on Donald
Trump when Democrats already have a 'plan B'? The House Judiciary Committee
said it will continue to investigate Donald Trump regardless of the
outcome. But what else is left to investigate? Well, the House Judiciary
Committee is saying that they will resurrect the dead, i.e., the Mueller
Report. This will give them a chance to get back to their roots and bring
up that old Russian collusion agenda and they can get the impeachment
hearings going all over again:

 From US House Judiciary Committee legal brief:
> The public version of the Mueller Report contains numerous redactions...
> These rule 6(E) redactions withhold information about President Trump's
> knowledge of his campaign's contacts with Russian officials and
> WikiLeaks and therefore bear on whether the President committed
> impeachable offenses...
RT's reports indicating that Rep. Nancy Pelosi seems unwilling to introduce
the articles of impeachment to the Senate and even she realizes that the
Democrats are giving voters no reason to go vote Democrat (or vote at all);
after all, impeachment does not give voters Medicare for All, a living
wage, potable water pipes, a national jobs program, cleaner air, free
education, nor does it end wars or bring back the soldiers, contractors,
and their weapons.

Voting: Exclusive RT interview with Greg Palast: Expect red state voter
purge in 2020 --Greg Palast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGSUTcZ5oX8 -- RT's interview with Greg Palast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmWgZUsMbWU -- Jimmy Dore's coverage of the
same issue and Bernie Sanders' response which motivates nobody to vote for
his candidacy.

FBI: FBI found to be lying to FISA court. Jimmy Dore offers multiple
examinations of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZLx1ofEAz4 -- Lawrence O'Donnell of MSNBC
defends FBI lying to FISA court.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VurVs8yg8lQ -- MSNBC claiming it's telling
their viewers the facts, which would be a new thing for that network to the
extent their claim is true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOzRVoPE94 -- MSNBC defends lying and
discredited Steele dossier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb0gyt9Vriw -- James Comey downplays how
his FBI lied to get FISA warrants, lies about how hard FISA warrants are to
get (they're incredibly easy to get -- In 2013 we saw reports much like
what Mother Jones published including "FISA Court Has Rejected .03 Percent
Of All Government Surveillance Requests" from
https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2013/06/fisa-court-nsa-spying-opinion-reject-request/
which is coming from Mother Jones, a source that has been incredibly
sympathetic to neocon coverage)

In
David Corn wrote in 2013:
> After last week’s revelations extensive National Security Agency
> surveillance of phone and internet communications, President Barack
> Obama made it a point to assure Americans that, not to worry, there is
> plenty of oversight of his administration’s snooping programs. “We’ve
> got congressional oversight and judicial oversight,” he said Friday,
> referring in part to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC),
> which was created in 1979 to oversee Department of Justice requests for
> surveillance warrants against foreign agents suspected of espionage or
> terrorism in the United States. But the FISC has declined just 11 of the
> more than 33,900 surveillance requests made by the government in 33
> years, the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday. That’s a rate of .03
> percent, which raises questions about just how much judicial oversight
> is actually being provided.

Similar stories throughout the years:
2015:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/us-spy-court-didnt-reject-a-single-secret-government-demand-for-data/

2017:
https://dailycaller.com/2017/03/06/fisa-surveillance-requests-are-almost-never-rejected/

2017:
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/last-6-years-record-fisa-court-denied-0-9400-electronic-surveillance
which includes:
> In the last six years on record (2010-2015), the Foreign Intelligence
> Surveillance Court did not deny a single application out of the 9,400
> the government submitted seeking authority “to conduct electronic
> surveillance for foreign intelligence purposes” under the terms of the
> Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, according to reports filed by the
> U.S. Justice Department.
>
> The last time the court denied an electronic surveillance application
> under FISA was 2009. That year, the court denied one application
> outright and denied another in part.

This CNSNews.com story also includes a chart showing year by year the
number of applications, how many were approved, approved-but-modified,
withdrawn, denied-in-part, and denied.

2019:
https://www.thetcanada.com/2019/12/18/fisa-court-fbi-secretive-surveillance-court-rebukes-fbi/
which includes:
> [...] open criticism of a federal agency is uncommon for the secretive
> FISA court, some observers were skeptical that procedural tweaks would
> generate sincere reform, given that FBI agents are already required to
> swear under threat of perjury that every application is truthful and
> accurate.
>
> The court itself, meanwhile, seldom turns down an FBI request, with a
> minuscule 0.03 percent rejection rate over its 30-plus years in
> operation. There is little reason to expect that to change after January
> 10.

Assange: Medical experts are "not allowed in" to Julian Assange hearing

RT remains one of the few places one can get coverage of how Assange is
doing, coverage of the pro-press freedom/pro-release Assange protests
outside Belmarsh prison (where is Assange is unjustifiably being held well
beyond any requirement by legal judgment), and coverage at each Assange
court hearing. This is another mark of shame for other allegedly
progressive news outlets including Democracy Now which (according to their
own website:
https://www.democracynow.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=assange)
apparently doesn't conduct interviews with Assange's father John Shipton
(https://www.democracynow.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=Shipton returns
no hits as of 2019-12-19) and other attendees of Assange-related events.
Occasionally DN guests speak on Assange's behalf but that's not the same as
what RUPTLY does: RT visits the site of the event, points a camera at the
people there, lets them speak, and then runs the recorded footage. This is
famously how RUPTLY (RT's comment-free dead-roll camera outlet) got the
only footage we have of Assange being forced out of the Ecuadorian embassy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMZU2DnPD4Q -- RT interview with
interviewees who wanted to bring medical testimony to court, and summarize
findings by Nils Melzer, the UN rapporteur on torture who visited Assange
in May 2019, who says that Assange's condition is consistent with someone
suffering from torture.

https://on.rt.com/9z0f -- Nils Melzer is quoted:
> Given the strongly perceptible public and official prejudice held
> against Mr. Assange in the United States, there are serious reasons to
> doubt that he would receive a fair trial before an impartial judicial
> body as required under human rights law.
>
> I underscore my most serious concern that, if Mr. Assange were to be
> extradited or otherwise surrendered to the United States... he would be
> exposed to a real risk of torture or other cruel, inhuman or degrading
> treatment or punishment.
>
> [Assange shows] all symptoms typical for prolonged and sustained
> exposure to severe psychological stress, anxiety and related mental and
> emotional suffering in an environment highly conducive to major
> depressive and post-traumatic stress disorders (PTSD).”
https://cdnv.rt.com/files/2019.06/5cfcb89ddda4c876728b463d.mp4 --
Christopher Hedges interview with Nils Melzer from July 7, 2019
https://www.rt.com/shows/on-contact/461420-julian-assange-prison-torture/
-- transcript of above interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYk-_E_BUcQ -- recent RT interview with
Nils Melzer

Healthcare: US healthcare delivery is coming to UK. John Pilger's latest
documentary, "The Dirty War on the NHS", covers what that means and how
this has been in the works for years. Perhaps the American people can help
warn the UK away from this shift before they lose what the UK public sees
as a widely-valued institution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJGL8Z52YE -- John Pilger's latest
documentary "The Dirty War on the NHS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHZcXrc9_wk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkH-JPlTgMQ -- John Pilger interviewed by
Afshin Rattansi on RT's "Going Underground" about "The Dirty War on the NHS"

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHDkALRz5Rk -- DW's documentary on
"How poor people survive in the USA". The last segment of this is not as
good as the previous segments, but this does help show what's in store for
the UK's poor when the NHS becomes nothing but a brand wherein healthcare
is decided upon by HMOs.

-J