[Peace-discuss] Another cult slouches toward us

Szoke, Ron r-szoke at illinois.edu
Sat Dec 28 19:46:33 UTC 2019

 ~  2+ years ago:  anticipation of the Trump cult

The ‘Alt-Right’ Has Created Alt-Christianity
By BRIAN D. MCLAREN
>From Time Magazine. August 25, 2017

  . . .  White nationalism isn’t simply an extremist political ideology. It is an alt-religious movement that provides its adherents with its own twisted version of what all religions supply to adherents: identity, a personal sense of who I am; community, a social sense of where I belong; and purpose, a spiritual sense of why my life matters. If faith communities don’t provide these healthy, life-giving human needs, then death-dealing alt-religions will fill the gap.

> Compare :  tribalism, nationalism, fascism, populism, Marxism, the Trump cult, etc.  (You know you are dealing with a cult when its members start insisting that everybody else is lying to you.)

>  Sebastian Junger, Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging (Twelve books, 2016, 168 pages).

   Joshua Greene, Moral Tribes: Emotion, Reason, and the Gap Between Us and Them  (Penguin Press, 2013, 422 pp.)

~ RSz.