[Peace-discuss] Joe Bauers' letter

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 17:30:16 UTC 2019

A great letter by our friend Joe Bauers in today's Gazoo:

We’ve seen this scenario too often

Our current prevaricator- in-chief seems intent on joining that rogues’
gallery of past presidents who have made the business of other countries
our business. By my calculation, most U.S. presidents in my lifetime have
given in to this temptation.

The country du jour is Venezuela, which has the largest known oil reserves
on the planet.

The president sends out his point man, John Bolton, who is even more
psychotic than his boss, to warm the citizenry to the idea of stealing
Venezuelan oil and removing their leader. As always, this coming
intervention is couched in warm and fuzzy terms, like humanitarianism.

The reality is quite the opposite. The general plan is always the same —
the depiction of the duly elected leader as a monster, followed by the
imposition of sanctions that heap great suffering upon the citizens of the
country. If that doesn’t work to remove the leader unliked by the U.S.,
then there is always the threat of military intervention.

We’ve seen this pattern many times — in Vietnam and Iraq, for example. It
always ends badly, if it ever ends at all.

Who benefits from this policy? Certainly not the people of the countries in
question. Only the war profiteers and their cohorts in the
bought-and-paid-for Congress benefit.

We citizens who write our big checks to the treasury seem oblivious to the
mayhem being done in our name around the world, glued as we are to our flat
screens and phones.

JOSEPH BAUERS Champaign