[Peace-discuss] NfN notes

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Tue Feb 19 06:36:18 UTC 2019

Some notes to consider discussing on News from Neptune

Russiagate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W_WIE3hiko -- Fake news: No evidence of
Trump/Russia conspiracy, says Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman
Richard Burr with no dispute coming from Committee Democrats. Senate
Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr:

> Well, I'm not sure how to put it any clearer than I said it before--we
> have no factual evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and
> Russia.

I'm not sure what "factual evidence" means here or how that differs from
just plain evidence (why the qualifier?). Burr has said this on-camera and
you can see him saying this. Therefore it's on the record. Also from Burr:

> If we write a report based upon the facts that we have, then we don't
> have anything that would suggest there was collusion by the Trump
> campaign and Russia.

Democrats confirmed this to NBC on condition of anonymity. More anonymous
sources for the corporate media.

Former CIA Director John Brennan doubles down on his evidenceless
insistence on Russian collusion saying:

> Mr. Trump's claims of no collusion are, in a word, hogwash.

Shall we add this to the list of "bombshells" (as Russiagate conspiracy
theorists like to say) that turned out to completely fizzle (to no
reasonable person's surprise)?

Russiagate, contrary to those who saw it as going on the wane, continues
apace. It was foolish to think it would die out because Russiagate is a
fact-free narrative -- to believe in it requires one to forget or ignore
what we know about all of the investigations into every Russiagate story
published. They all fall apart on investigation either because they just
weren't true to begin with or because they're wildly overstated (such as
the effect of Russians posting social media ads prior to the 2016 US
election). The only substance to come out of it are the ill effects on
people's lives -- sanctions, censorship, and lost business.

Maddow has been saying insane crap about Russia and getting the highest
ratings of her career for saying it (even going against NBC as she did on
Twitter, explained in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb46se6Xp8o). Her
latest claim is that Russia will somehow turn off our heating during this
2019 cold winter. There's no evidence behind the claim, it's Maddow's
speculation based on her desire to keep making lots of money for herself
and her network. MSNBC gets a lot of money for Maddow's rants. She really
is, as Jimmy Dore has pointed out in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bwmhe8t3VQ the corporate-friendly Alex
Jones (minus the censorship, of course).

MSNBC has a strong history of firing any host that questions the corporate
line. Phil Donahue, Ed Schultz, Ashley Banfield, and Jesse Ventura have all
been fired for covering news and telling the truth that contradicted
corporate narratives. Donahue and Ventura didn't go along with the 2003
invasion of Iraq and said so on their shows, Schultz interviewed Bernie
Sanders because he was running for US President, and Banfield gave a speech
to Kansas State University which challenged the coverage of the 9/11
attacks naming Fox News as an example of "cable news operators who wrap
themselves in the American flag and go after a certain target demographic".
Unlike Donahue and Ventura, Banfield was not bought out of her contract she
was punished by having her desk, phone, and tools taken away from her but
expected to report to work every day. After 17 months Neal Shapiro, NBC
News president, let her leave.

After Aaron Maté left The Real News, TRNN offers a sharply narrowed
allowable range of debate which goes from TRNN's Marc Steiner buying into
Russiagate to TRNN's Paul Jay who claimed Russiagate is not important. TRNN
lost validity on Russiagate when they lost Aaron Maté; that network simply
has nobody on staff who will properly explain relevant Russiagate issues
and tacitly encourage good critical thinking skills as Maté did.

There's also a lot of valuable media criticism that goes with Russiagate
which you're not going to get from most hosts, shows, and networks. RT has
good coverage of Russiagate and Maté's articles for The Nation are good
(but The Nation magazine as a whole still finds ways to be subservient to
the Democrats come election time).

Will that end Russiagate?

No way, evidence-free Russian conspiracy theories like the kind peddled by
Marcy Wheeler, Rachel Maddow, most of the Democratic Party, and
uncritically echoed by virtually all of the corporate media and Democracy
Now's Amy Goodman are far too profitable to stop now.

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjUvfZj-Fm0 -- a "super cut" of corporate
and corporate-repeating media claiming "the walls are closing in", "the
beginning of the end", "a turning point", "a tipping point", and
"bombshell" reports which all somehow signal Trump's impeachment,
resignation, and an end to the Trump administration because Trump "it's
over", Trump "will resign", Trump "is in a lot of trouble", and he "will
not serve out his term". Remember when liberals got all worked up because
TV station owner Sinclair made their employee newsreaders read from the
same script? Where's the outrage when multiple allegedly independent
newsreaders effectively do the same thing? Over a bunch of baseless claims?
Spanning years (the earliest clip is dated February 2017)?

The simple concept of evidence-based reporting appears to be beyond the
corporate media and their friendly repeaters, and it's perfectly clear why
they do this: they make money and do political favors for their funders.
Ironic that the very thing they accuse Russians of doing -- "fomenting
discord" -- is what they have been doing on this story since the beginning.

Sanctions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2P_0U66j8w -- more Russian sanctions are
on the way from the US. Sanctions hurt ordinary citizens, not elites.

Fake news possibility: BBC Syria producer Riam Dalati claims the April 7,
2018 Douma chemical attack video was staged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o63VnLJpwuc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mBZjC69Mg4 -- BBC Syria producer Riam
Dalati tweets that the Douma chemical attack video (circa April 7, 2018)
was staged, which agrees with Russian and Syrian claims made at the time.
claims to have proof. Dalati has not published said proof. Dalati's tweets
are moderated, but https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzXWER1XcAEukgj.jpg is a
screenshot and https://archive.fo/K1mSY is a copy of that screenshot (in
case the former link is taken down:

> After almost 6 months of investigations, i can prove without a doubt
> that the #Douma Hospital scene was staged. No fatalities occurred in the
> hospital. All the #WH, activists and people i spoke to are either in
> #Idlib or #EuphratesShield areas. Only one person was in #Damascus.
> #Russia and at least one #NATO country knew about what happened in the
> hospital. Documents were sent. However no 1 knew what really happened at
> the flats apart from activists manipulating the scene there. This is why
> #Russia focused solely on discrediting the hospital scene But never
> approached the block of flats and curtailed access immediately after
> #Douma takeover. I can tell you that Jaysh al-Islam ruled Douma with an
> iron fist. They coopted activists, doctors and humanitarians with fear
> and intimidation.

Rumors of war: Venezuela

Update from The Gray Zone courtesy of Anya Parampil (formerly of RT), Aaron
Maté (The Nation, The Gray Zone, formerly of Democracy Now, formerly of The
Real News), and Max Blumenthal & Ben Norton (Gray Zone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LT_O7tI3DY -- Gray Zone report on
Venezuelans standing in line for hours to sign a letter denouncing US
intervention and aggression against Venezuela.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq7ngZgzU-k -- Aaron Maté interview with
Jimmy Dore, very informative.

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQ_oxPFIAA -- Bill Maher
championing Trump & Venezuela coup (Maher called Venezuela "in our
backyard") is interesting because:

If you're for the Venezuelan coup, you're with Pres. Trump whom the
corporate media calls a Putin puppet (sans evidence).

If you're against the Venezuelan coup, you're with Putin who (rightly)
objects to the coup (alongside many other countries: Venezuela [go
figure!], African union, Italy, Mexico, and more), and the corporate media
will call you a Putin puppet (how dare you side with Putin on anything!)

So both roads lead to the corporate media calling you a Putin puppet. You
can try to side with Trump's coup and dodge such bad reasoning by not
mentioning the contradiction like Maher does in his pro-war/pro-coup fervor
but that ends up making you look as foolish as Maher and his applauding
audience.

Side note: I'm not sure if Parampil is still with RT but I suspect she is
not. Her profile page on RT.com --
https://www.rt.com/onair-talent/anya-parampil/ -- now redirects to the page
of other RT "onair-talent". She has not been on RT (such as the very good
show she launched called "In Question") for some weeks now and my
2019-02-08 letter to RT (RT-US at rttv.ru) asking about her went unanswered.
Her profile page on Gray Zone Project --
https://grayzoneproject.com/author/anya-parampil/ -- refers to her RT work
in the past tense ("She previously hosted a daily progressive afternoon
news program called In Question on RT America").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8_JoGzwjk -- Gray Zone interview with
members of the wealthier public attending a rally for humanitarian aid who
also support the sanctions. One attendee said "of course [I support the
sanctions] but the sanctions are so weak", another said "the sanctions
target corrupt officials".

Two women in this interview supported ending "this dictatorship" (referring
to the Venezuelan government), and another woman said "[Trump] is fighting
for the freedom of our country and I applaud that. I may not agree with
some of his policies, but I applaud him and thank him for the help that he
is giving us.". One of the two women who saw their government as a
dictatorship supported "getting us out" of it "as long as it is not a
military invasion".

Points contradicting their views:

- The Venezuelan elections are widely credited as being more monitored and
fair than the US elections. There's no evidence for calling that government
a dictatorship even though people have objections to Maduro's policies.

- The US has long had eyes on Venezuelan oil and fomenting regime change
wars is hardly new to the US government. Venezuela has the largest known
reserves of oil. John Bolton has admitted that this regime change action is
for the oil per RT and teleSUR:

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/John-Bolton-Admits-US-backed-Coup-in-Venezuela-Is-About-Oil-Not-Democracy-20190130-0020.html

https://on.rt.com/9n7i

- US sanctions against countries typically target the citizenry; US
sanctions against Iraq, for instance, were credited with having killed
500,000 children (a figure then-Sec. of State Madeleine Albright famously
remarked was "worth it" when asked about this by corporate media's "60
Minutes" program):

> Lesley Stahl: We have heard that half a million children have died. I
> mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the
> price worth it?
>
> Madeleine Albright: We think the price is worth it.

Albright later said that interview "amounted to Iraqi propaganda" and she
said that "I had fallen into a trap and said something I did not mean" and
regretted "[coming] across as cold-blooded and cruel". She was Secretary of
State participating by choice in a scheduled, no doubt well-prepared for
interview with sympathetic corporate media. Propaganda? Certainly. Iraqi
propaganda? No way. Albright meant what she said because it was the truth;
sanctions achieved what they were designed to do.

Maduro sees such "humanitarian aid" as toppling his government according to
https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/14316 . Air cargo shipper "Air 21"
stopped their shipments to Venezuela one day after McClatchy published a
report tying one of their customers' shipments to the CIA. Air 21 customer
"GPS-Air" was the only company that chartered flights for the last few
weeks to Valencia, Venezuela.

 From the McClatchy report:

> A Boeing 767 operated by 21 Air, which maintains an operating facility
> at [Miami International Airport], delivered cargo earlier this week that
> included 19 assault rifles, telescopic sights, radio antenna and other
> materiel to the international airport in Valencia, according to a
> Bolivarian National Guard general, Endes Palencia.

Both GPS-Air and 21 Air deny knowing anything about the shipments. But it
looks like the CIA was trying to create an armed insurgency in Venezuela.

Russiagate: "Are Russian Trolls Saving Measles From Extinction?" US
state-owned media says so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKSiUSt0mWs -- US state-owned media outlets
RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty claim that Russian misinformation spread by
Russian bot accounts is causing an outbreak of measles in Europe by fueling
fear of vaccines amongst the public.

https://www.rferl.org/a/are-russian-trolls-saving-measles-from-extinction/29768471.html
-- RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty article

The problem with the claim isn't just that it's sourceless, innumerate, and
unverified, but that the US has a history of using vaccinations to attack
people. Domestically, Americans purposefully spread syphilis to blacks in
The Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male -- 1932 and 1972
the US Public Health Service infected and then observed untreated syphilis
in black men. None of the victims received penicillin even after penicillin
was proven to be effective at treating syphilis.

 From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment

> By the end of the study in 1972, only 74 of the test subjects were
> alive. Of the original 399 men, 28 had died of syphilis, 100 were dead
> of related complications, 40 of their wives had been infected, and 19 of
> their children were born with congenital syphilis.

Outside the US, The Guardian reported in 2011 that the CIA organized a fake
vaccination campaign in order to get to Osama bin Laden's family DNA.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jul/11/cia-fake-vaccinations-osama-bin-ladens-dna

> As part of extensive preparations for the raid that killed Bin Laden in
> May, CIA agents recruited a senior Pakistani doctor to organise the
> vaccine drive in Abbottabad, even starting the "project" in a poorer
> part of town to make it look more authentic, according to Pakistani and
> US officials and local residents.
>
> The doctor, Shakil Afridi, has since been arrested by the Inter-Services
> Intelligence agency (ISI) for co-operating with American intelligence
> agents.
>
> Relations between Washington and Islamabad, already severely strained by
> the Bin Laden operation, have deteriorated considerably since then. The
> doctor's arrest has exacerbated these tensions. The US is understood to
> be concerned for the doctor's safety, and is thought to have intervened
> on his behalf.

[...]

> The doctor went to Abbottabad in March, saying he had procured funds to
> give free vaccinations for hepatitis B. Bypassing the management of the
> Abbottabad health services, he paid generous sums to low-ranking local
> government health workers, who took part in the operation without
> knowing about the connection to Bin Laden. Health visitors in the area
> were among the few people who had gained access to the Bin Laden
> compound in the past, administering polio drops to some of the
> children.
>
> Afridi had posters for the vaccination programme put up around
> Abbottabad, featuring a vaccine made by Amson, a medicine manufacturer
> based on the outskirts of Islamabad.
>
> In March health workers administered the vaccine in a poor neighbourhood
> on the edge of Abbottabad called Nawa Sher. The hepatitis B vaccine is
> usually given in three doses, the second a month after the first. But in
> April, instead of administering the second dose in Nawa Sher, the doctor
> returned to Abbottabad and moved the nurses on to Bilal Town, the suburb
> where Bin Laden lived.

So it's not unheard of for the American government to use vaccination as an
excuse to do unethical things or covertly achieve other ends.

But we don't have the evidence to justify a conclusion or suggestion that
misinformation is at work here. Ironic that the call to stamp out "fake
news" comes so often from those seeking to publish propaganda unchallenged.

Russiagate: Censorship of messages CNN, US Government doesn't like via
their apparent partners at Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1at_Wexv7pk -- interview with Rania Khalek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY7MoANYf-w -- Facebook & CNN bans
RT-linked pages claiming policy of not letting readers know where show "In
the Now" gets its money from (some of their money comes from Russian
state-funded Ruptly which is affiliated with RT). The problem: Facebook has
no such policy. Therefore Facebook never enforced this alleged policy with
others such as BBC, CBC, Al Jazeera, or other state-owned broadcasters.
Facebook didn't enforce this with anyone else either: NPR or individuals
with pages. In the Now was critical of the US's Venezuelan coup and CNN is
pro-coup. In the Now also has a history of standing against Israeli
occupation of Palestinian territory and disenfranchisement of the
Palestinian people including murder. In the Now host Rania Khalek is a BDS
supporter. CNN has quite the opposite view, when they bother to cover
Palestinians at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9pWE_PGSGY -- Jimmy Dore on how CNN &
Facebook coordinate to silence dissent.

It's clear that In the Now didn't do anything wrong, but CNN was working on
a Russiagate piece about In the Now and learned what Ruptly-funded outlets
tell their employees -- their paychecks come in part from the Russian
government. CNN seems to have asked Facebook to censor In the Now's
Facebook page on behalf of the German Marshall Fund -- what In the Now's
Rania Khalek said is:

> a US-funded government group that has been involved in projects like the
> Alliance for Securing Democracy which has an advisory board with people
> like Bill Kristol who was a board member of the Project for a New
> American Century that was critical of pushing the Iraq War, people like
> Mike Morrell, the acting CIA Director, people like Jake Sullivan, the
> former National Security Advisor to Joe Biden. And this group is also
> behind Hamilton 68 which claims to be this Russian propaganda tracker
> that tracks Russian bots but has this secret methodology that doesn't
> reveal to anybody and has misidentified actual living breathing humans
> as fake Russian bots.

Citizenship in the UK might be more precarious than UK citizens want or need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOjKPvFrERI -- 19-year old British citizen
Shamima Begum seeks to return to the UK with her child. At age 15 in 2015
Beggam left the UK with 2 other girls to go to Syria. Begum said one of her
friends later died when her home was bombed. During her 4 years there she
married a member of ISIS and had a child. UK Home Secretary Sajid Javid
strongly opposes her return saying

UK Justice Secretary David Gauke disagrees and said:

> We can't make people stateless.

It will be interesting to see if her citizenship is respected and allowed
to return just as any other citizen is, or if citizenship is more tenuous.

War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6K_eN20CqU -- Save the Children report
says 550,000 babies under 1 year old died between 2013-2017 as a result of
living in war zones. The babies died from famine, disease, and delays to
crucial aid supplies.

The figure rises to 870,000 when considering children up to age 5.

175,000 fighters killed over the same period.

420,000,000 children live in conflict zones worldwide, 1/5th of the world's
children.

War/Russiagate: Julian Assange & WikiLeaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNOnvp5t7Do -- 2010 TED interview with
Julian Assange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ8RoTq9U1o -- Jimmy Dore's reaction
looking back on this video from October 25, 2018

Dore's take on this is well worth watching. Looking at this interview
again, you can see the change in opinion in the liberal mindset:

- Assange got the entire audience's support back in 2010 (presumably
liberals). Not one person in the audience objected to WikiLeaks'
publications. Assange got a standing ovation at the end.

- What the audience thought of WikiLeaks influencing elections then:

Background: In 2007 WikiLeaks published a secret report about Arap Moi
family corruption called the "Kroll Report".

> Julian Assange: So this is the Kroll Report. This was a secret
> intelligence report commissioned by the Kenyan government after its
> election in 2004. Prior to 2004, Kenya was ruled by Daniel Arap Moi for
> about 18 years. He was a soft dictator of Kenya. And when Kibaki got
> into power -- through a coalition of forces that were trying to clean up
> corruption in Kenya -- they commissioned this report, spent about two
> million pounds on this and an associated report. And then the government
> sat on it and used it for political leverage on Moi, who was the richest
> man -- still is the richest man -- in Kenya. It's the Holy Grail of
> Kenyan journalism. So I went there in 2007, and we managed to get hold
> of this just prior to the election -- the national election, December
> 28. When we released that report, we did so three days after the new
> president, Kibaki, had decided to pal up with the man that he was going
> to clean out, Daniel Arap Moi, so this report then became a dead
> albatross around President Kibaki's neck.
>
> Chris Anderson, interviewer: And -- I mean, to cut a long story short --
> word of the report leaked into Kenya, not from the official media, but
> indirectly, and in your opinion, it actually shifted the election.
>
> Julian Assange: Yeah. So this became front page of the Guardian and was
> then printed in all the surrounding countries of Kenya, in Tanzanian and
> South African press. And so it came in from the outside. And that, after
> a couple of days, made the Kenyan press feel safe to talk about it. And
> it ran for 20 nights straight on Kenyan TV, shifted the vote by 10
> percent, according to a Kenyan intelligence report, which changed the
> result of the election.

The audience applauded. This is a likely liberal audience applauding the
result of what today is derided as meddling in foreign elections. That
interpretation is central to an ongoing 2+ year evidenceless Russophobic
campaign waged to distract you from the establishment candidate (Hillary
Clinton) losing a rigged election to a political novice...again.

- Consider Assange's response to those who blame the messenger regarding
WikiLeaks releasing video of soldiers killing innocent people and laughing
over their victims bodies as we saw in the videos such as the "Collateral
Damage" video:

> Chris Anderson: And what would you say to, for example, the, you know,
> the parent of someone whose son is out serving the U.S. military, and he
> says, "You know what, you've put up something that someone had an
> incentive to put out. It shows a U.S. soldier laughing at people dying.
> That gives the impression, has given the impression, to millions of
> people around the world that U.S. soldiers are inhuman people. Actually,
> they're not. My son isn't. How dare you?" What would you say to that?
>
> Julian Assange: Yeah, we do get a lot of that. But remember, the people
> in Baghdad, the people in Iraq, the people in Afghanistan -- they don't
> need to see the video; they see it every day. So it's not going to
> change their opinion. It's not going to change their perception. That's
> what they see every day. It will change the perception and opinion of
> the people who are paying for it all, and that's our hope.
-J