[Peace-discuss] News From Neptune episode #408 notes

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Jan 12 02:00:06 UTC 2019

News from Neptune episode #408
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtBj5Lmt7Z4

A list of links to resources mentioned on the program.

I've added links to archive copies of some articles that come from sources
which are known to change what they publish. This should help you compare
what was published and what is being published in case this becomes an issue.

David Leonhardt on "How to Choose a Candidate"
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/opinion/democrats-2020-presidential-primary.html
https://archive.fo/TcIsW

Jeffrey St. Clair on "Roaming Charges: Que Syria, Syria"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/01/11/roaming-charges-que-syria-syria/

10,000 roses sent to millionaire and House speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
courtesy of Daily Kos readership
https://m.dailykos.com/stories/1825079
https://archive.fo/45qZs

Additional reportage on 10,000 roses story
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/01/09/nancy-pelosi-gets-delivery-roses-thanks-an-online-fundraiser/
https://archive.fo/hBm7M

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/424622-pelosi-receives-10000-roses-at-her-office-thanks-to-online-fundraiser
https://archive.fo/Yd0MA

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/01/10/nancy-pelosi-freedom-roses/
https://archive.fo/PzZCG

Comparing the language of the "Green New Deal" between Green Party and
Democratic Party and examining what the Green New Deal means.

Andrew Stewart on "Sorry Democrats, the Green Party Came Up With the Green
New Deal!"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/11/29/sorry-democrats-the-green-party-came-up-with-the-green-new-deal/

Bruce Dixon on "Raising the Bar on the Green New Deal"
https://blackagendareport.com/raising-bar-green-new-deal

Pamela Anderson on Europe’s Turmoil
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/12/yellow-vests-pamela-anderson-france-macron

Related -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrBUgOyNf5M -- Anderson's take
on economy is more sound than she commonly gets credit for.

Fred Gardner on "How Corrupt is Malcolm Gladwell?"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2007/04/01/how-corrupt-is-malcolm-gladwell/

Noam Chomsky on conspiracy theories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JirrKIQfOmk -- discussion includes
reflecting on JFK's hawkishness, Obama's allegedly dedication to "wonderful
things" and we "have to hope he'll overcome the dark forces" but "[Chomsky]
doesn't think there's any truth to that". We've got to do the organizing
and work to get his administration to do what we want that administration
to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50MqHnoDEts

Adolph Reed on "What Materialist Black Political History Actually Looks Like"
https://nonsite.org/editorial/what-materialist-black-political-history-actually-looks-like

Louis Proyect's take on the above essay from
https://www.mail-archive.com/marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu/msg33777.html
> Adolph Reed is really great at sticking his foot in his mouth. This
> article is filled with howling stupidities.

Michael Yates' essay based on his book "Can the Working Class Change the
World?"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/12/24/exploitation-and-expropriation-or-why-capitalism-must-be-attacked-with-equal-force-on-every-front/

Michael Schwalbe's response article "What It Means to Put Class First"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/01/04/what-it-means-to-put-class-first/

Tariq Ali and C.L.R. James: A Conversation (from 1980)
https://www.marxists.org/archive/james-clr/works/1980/07/tariq-ali.htm

-J