[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Medicare For All Is Closer Than Ever!

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Thu Jan 17 03:19:54 UTC 2019

Szoke, Ron via Peace-discuss wrote:
> From: Donna Smith for Progressive Democrats of America
> Subject: Medicare For All Is Closer Than Ever!
>
> [...] Progressive Democrats of America (PDA) activists dedicate
> ourselves to keep moving forward on our Medicare for All (MFA) effort.
> This, as we have since our founding more than 14 years ago.
I'd be careful of using the term "Medicare for All" without clearly
explaining which implementation one refers to as this gives way to being
exploited by redefining what that term means. HR676 is long-idle but short,
easily understood, and supportable. S1804 is longer, includes for-profit
actors, and is backed by Bernie Sanders (who is clearly a shepherd for the
Democrats[1]). There's a revision of HR676 coming from Rep. Pramila
Jayapal. Russell Mokhiber tells us[2] this revision is getting a new bill
number. This revision is not yet published (as far as I know). It looks
like the shift from HR676 to S1804 is to redefine "Medicare for All" to
include for-profit elements which we don't want or need in a proper
universalization of Medicare. That would end up letting so-called
progressive Congresspeople not only say they support Medicare for All but
also vote on such a bill leaving us with a continued expensive and
under-delivering healthcare system.

> Our coalition has worked closely with Rep. Jayapal’s office for several
> months on the Expanded, Improved Medicare for All Act, to strengthen the
> legislation. We’re thrilled with the results, and we’re busily building
> support for an inspiring launch later this month, with the maximum
> possible number of original cosponsors.

What's the URL where we, the public, may read this "Expanded, Improved
Medicare for All Act" bill?

This press release is online at
https://pdamerica.org/medicare-for-all-is-closer-than-ever/ but there is no
link to the in-progress bill text on that page.

The latter half of [2] talks about Jayapal's revision which will "keep
for-profit hospitals in the mix". None of it looks favorably on the work
being done in secret.

I'd also be wary of any so-called progressive who backed Nancy Pelosi as
speaker of the House. Pelosi will do as the Democrats did when they had a
majority in both houses of Congress and a Democratic Party president -- not
bring HR676 up for a vote. That means no opportunity for a high-publicity
push to urge the public to instruct their Congresspeople to vote for HR676
on the condition of losing their vote. Given that Medicare for All is so
popular (more than any HMO-based plan) it wouldn't take much to convince
people to support such a drive (perhaps that's why HR676 never came up for
a vote?). Pelosi makes no secret of her objection to Medicare for All.
Giving her such power to keep important bills from being voted on is an
effective means of letting representatives look progressive but achieve the
same HMO-centric ends we've had so far.

The Democrats have an ugly history with healthcare because they're doing
what their HMO and drug company funders are paying them to do. Important
commentary on this comes from Jimmy Dore on his show[3].

[1] https://www.blackagendareport.com/bernie-sanders-in-hillarys-pocket and
https://www.blackagendareport.com/bernie-sanders-sheepdog-4-hillary

[2] https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/01/11/single-payer-not-single-payer/

[3] https://www.youtube.com/user/TYTComedy/videos has all the episodes of
his show. Some recent comments on this topic are in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06J3eTIAIiU and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ1i_BM_qTE