[Peace-discuss] Cui bono a rei publicae? Who profits from politics?

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 10:05:35 UTC 2019

A Facebook interlocutor observed this week that politics in America is now about sex and race.

The people who run the country are glad of that of course, because it distracts from the more dangerous topics of war and the environment.

The ruling class make their money from war and the environment (the military-industrial complex and industrial pollution), so they don't want them to be topics of debate and perhaps alteration. But they don't have so much invested - literally and figuratively - in sex and race. Let the battle rage.

It's the triumph of identity politics over class politics that sees discrimination (of all sorts) to be the fundamental problem of our society, rather than exploitation (of people and land).
From the point of view of our rulers, the former can be vigorously addressed; but not the latter.

—CGE